Logic Pro and "Master For iTunes "

Hi,

As a Logic Pro user, is the "Master for iTunes droplet" by Apple a package that I must install to do a separated master for iTunes? . Or Is the RoundTripAAC plugin all I need to monitor or audition an audio file for iTunes?. Or just bouncing to AAC code will give the same result instead of installing the MFiT droplet. Some of the tools from MFiT (master for iTunes) comes already in OSX and accessible from within the Terminal utilities. Since MFiT is a stand alone app. is Logic Pro considering an upgrade to the software in the future, or non of this is necessary as a logic user?. I can't find any latest about this topic yet and don't want to install something that logic will take care off properly later or maybe I'm just miss understanding the real thing behind MFiT. After downloading and reading the pdf files about this, I could'n find any advice about "if you are a logic user, you don't need this".....

Thanks..

Hi,

As a Logic Pro user, is the "Master for iTunes droplet" by Apple a package that I must install to do a separated master for iTunes?

No, you don't have to use the droplet.

You can use the RoundTripAAC plug-in or the command-line tool "afclip" in the Terminal.

Since MFiT is a stand alone app. is Logic Pro considering an upgrade to the software in the future, or non of this is necessary as a logic user?

Logic Pro doesn't require an update for this purpose since this is all Core Audio, and therefore system dependent, rather than application dependent.

I can't find any latest about this topic yet and don't want to install something that logic will take care off properly later or maybe I'm just miss understanding the real thing behind MFiT. After downloading and reading the pdf files about this, I could'n find any advice about "if you are a logic user, you don't need this".....

Simply download and install the RoundTripAAC and you're good to go. However, I recommend that you upgrade your system software to Mountain Lion for the most precise reading, since there's a small difference between the way Snow Leopard and Lion/Mountain Lion handles AAC.

In a nutshell here's what to watch out for when doing MFiT masters:

- Check with the RoundTripAAC that you have no inter-sample peaks and AAC encoding overs

- Leave a few fractions of a dB as an additional buffer (my recommendation based on experience with imprecisions in the readings)

- Perform the reading on offline material only

- Use 24 bit WAV for the export and make sure no additional processing or normalizing takes place apart from dithering

- Make sure the aggregator has access to a true MFiT compatible uploading system or your file will likely be truncated and potentially rejected or uploaded as a regular iTunes track instead

Understand that MFiT is a special initiative and only a relatively few companies have access to the MFiT programme - primarily major labels and a few aggregators.

I recently became the technical advisor for Universal Music in Denmark on mastering formats, and it was quite interesting to see at how many stages of the process things can go wrong, so make sure people at the other end understand the process. Many labels use external companies which are not always up to date on the process, so be vigilant.

Unless you are a mastering engineer you will probably not need to deliver a MFiT master. However, there's no harm in making one and saving it in case you ever need a high quality master for later use.

For regular iTunes upload you cannot use MFiT, since the regular iTunes system only accepts 16 bit WAV. However, you can (and theoretically should) perform a RoundTripAAC check because it will make your iTunes downloaded master sound better . At least avoid inter-sample peaks by using a 4x oversampled limiter and perhaps add an additional buffer of a few fractions of a dB or more to avoid the most frequent encoding overs.

if you really care about audio quality and loudness is not an issue then use a True Peak meter and aim for -1 dBTP (4x oversampled) as in the EBU R128 regulations for instance. This will take care of both MFiT peak levels and is more broadcast friendly.

Hi "Mr Legerfeld"You can use the RoundTripAAC plug-in

I have mountain lyon and logic up to date, however, you also also suggest :

Simply download and install the RoundTripAAC and you're good to go

There's any difference on reading de codes if I use RoundTripAAC from logic or as a stand alone app.?

By this, you mean outside of logic? or after bouncing a track and reopen in logic? or using the RoundTripAAC from MFiT droplet on a 24/44.1 format .waw or aiff?. Sorry, I just want to get the right reading and still don't know in which stage in the process I will have the best use of it.

Thanks so much for the great input you guys just gave us.

By this, you mean outside of logic? or after bouncing a track and reopen in logic? or using the RoundTripAAC from MFiT droplet on a 24/44.1 format .waw or aiff?. Sorry, I just want to get the right reading and still don't know in which stage in the process I will have the best use of it.

I recommend that you do a RoundTripAAC plug-in check in realtime and set the levels based on a couple of passes. Then bounce to a 24 bit fil and doublecheck on the bounced file using the command-line tool.

You may experience small discrepancies in these readings, which is why I recommend a small additional buffer while bouncing.