CPU Overload

dougqup

1103476466_ScreenShot2013-01-15at6_16_44PM.thumb.png.aea243a28dd6356e6b765c03d22e4b5b.png

Logic CPU Overload pic

4 internal synth tracks, audio is crackly due to cpu overload. This is with no external I/O. Just internal input and output. I unplugged the apogee.

Please help.

Thanks, Doug

Logic 9.1.8

iMac I7

OXS 10.7.5

2.8GHz

8GB RAM

136449236_Weirdsampleratemessage.png.a216e7d99d88a7b9f876486f26dffef3.png

This message comes up. there are no audio files in any track. Just the Arturia Prophet vst.

Looking at your screenshot I would do two extra things: set the Process Buffer Range to at least medium, and set the number of processing threads to the highest number available, not automatic.

O, and you should enable Universal Track Mode - unless you're using Digi hardware... are you?

O, and one more thing (beginning to feel like Columbo here)... do you use Rewire? If not, you can also set that to Normal. It may or may not make a difference, but it's a good principle to set features that are not used to 'lowest' settings.

David, Erik, thank you both! Really appreciate the help. I'll check these settings, Im not using rewire or digi hardware. It's funny this morning, the cpu load looks normal. Could it be that background tasks such as carbonite or time machine are taking up bandwidth? Last night audio was crackly, cpu was overloaded, this morning everything is cool, I haven't changed anything.

thanks again!

Doug/Q Up ARts

Don't forget that your computer is a dynamically organised system, and restarting it means you clear away any sort of small errors that may have built up in your RAM contents during a days' use.

In other words: restarting is always the first thing to try when experiencing troubles. You can do three different kinds of restarts:

1. No need to quit Logic: just restart coreaudio. In the coreaudio prefs window (the one you posted), untick and retick Enabled, so that the Apply Changes button becomes active, then dismiss the window, changes are applied automatically. This resets the buffers, it can clear up crackling problems and problems with (severely) increased latency.

The second restart type is to quit Logic, quit all unnecessary other apps (browsers, players) and restart Logic. Gain: more free RAM. Fresh copy of the project loaded.

The third type is the machine reboot. Gain: one continuous chunk of free RAM for Logic, all kinds of temporary caches and things are reset and/or cleared out, it is like you have a fresh Mac!

Could it be that background tasks such as carbonite or time machine are taking up bandwidth?

Doug/Q Up ARts

Yes.

If you want to optimize your computer's resources to be dedicated to Logic's requirements you need to disable Time Machine. Basically, any running process that's not required for Logic to work should be disabled while you're using Logic.

For what its worth I've been getting that error message lately too. I also unplugged my interface and ran the project with built-in I/O and still got the error.

The weird part is that I'm running in 64 bit, and when the audio starts to crackle before the error pops up, if I click on the 32 bit Bridge so its the frontmost application the audio clears up and runs just fine until Logic is in focus again.

Maybe if you happen to get this problem again, try placing another app in the foreground and see if it does the same on your machine. Might be an errant setting or bug.

Could it be that background tasks such as carbonite or time machine are taking up bandwidth?

Doug/Q Up ARts

Yes.

If you want to optimize your computer's resources to be dedicated to Logic's requirements you need to disable Time Machine. Basically, any running process that's not required for Logic to work should be disabled while you're using Logic.

+1.

• 1 month later...