anyone using Expander?

hey guys... trying to get a hang on using Expanders ..... If anyone can give their short explanation on what they do and how they work, it would be really appreciated...

What I understand so far is they have a threshold which signal crosses and starts expanding at a set ratio.... but it's not the best explanation i am sure

tanks

Which kind do you mean?

Downward expansion: attenuating the signal at a specified ratio when it drops below a set threshold (Turning the quiet parts further down, increasing dynamic range - think of a noise gate that doesn't completely cut the signal below threshold, but turns it down gradually.)

Upward expansion: boosting the signal at a specified ratio when it rises over a set threshold. (Turning the loud parts further up, increasing dynamic range)

J.

trying to get a hang on using Expanders ..... If anyone can give their short explanation on what they do and how they work, it would be really appreciated...

Expanders do the opposite of Compressors.

Short enough for ya?

Expander

That's the upward kind.

Note: As the Expander is a genuine upward expander—in contrast to a downward expander, which increases the dynamic range below the Threshold

The one in the Multipressor is the downward kind.

Raising the overall volume level can result in a corresponding increase in the existing noise floor. Each frequency band features downward expansion, which allows you to reduce or suppress this noise.

Downward expansion works as a counterpart to compression. Whereas the compressor compresses the dynamic range of higher volume levels, the downward expander expands the dynamic range of the lower volume levels. With downward expansion, the signal is reduced in level when it falls below the threshold level. This works in a similar way to a noise gate, but rather than abruptly cutting off the sound, it smoothly fades the volume with an adjustable ratio.

J.

guys thank u for the helpful replies.... i didnt know that expander can work both ways... i had used it before to beef up a synth but i can certainly use it to suppress signals as well... this gon take awhile to get this science down... but its a powerful tools no doubt... i just used expander on a loop and totally made it sound different....