Score Editor - half brackets and accidentals in parentheses?

BenRogue

Hi everyone,

New to the forums, nice to be here.

I am an experienced user of Logic but have never used the Score Editor, and am currently doing a course in orchestration in which I have to replicate the score format as closely as possible.

Mostly everything is fine but I have run into a couple of issues, the solutions to which are not immediately obvious and I don't really want to have to fork out a few hundred dollars for Sibelius just for the purposes of the course. As the questions are related I've put them all together, hope that's OK..

1. Is it possible to join staves with half-brackets, as displayed below? I can only find the two bracket options available in Score Sets and Staff Styles thus far.

2. Is it possible to set up a double stave on the same clef also as below, and playing identical parts but displayed separately - ie for a horn part split between 1+2 and 3+4? At the moment it will only display on the upper of the two staves, leaving the lower one empty.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2n8c6z9.jpg

And finally -

3. Is is possible to add accidentals, eg a natural, in parentheses other than using the text tool repeatedly?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Ben

Logic 9.1.7

iMac 3.4 GHz Intel i7, 16GB 1333MHz DDr3, OS 10.6.8

EDIT - Sorry I should clarify here

2. Is it possible to set up a double stave on the same clef also as below, and playing identical parts but displayed separately - ie for a horn part split between 1+2 and 3+4? At the moment the notes will only display on the upper of the two staves, leaving the lower one empty.

Thanks

B

Hi

3. Is is possible to add accidentals, eg a natural, in parentheses other than using the text tool repeatedly?

Quick ones first (though not in () )

"Globally: see Settings:Score:Clefs and Signatures: Show Grace Accidentals

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicexpress/usermanual/index.html#chapter=42%26section=9%26tasks=true

For individual notes:

Note attributes see "to change the display of accidentals"

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicexpress/usermanual/index.html#chapter=31%26section=25%26tasks=true

HTH

CCT

Half brackets -- no, but braces that serve the same function -- yes.

Regarding the voice separation on the horns, start by applying the Piano 1+2/3+4 staff style to the part. Then, in the staff style editor, change the bass clef to treble clef. Transpose the various staves accordingly (unless you're writing a C score) and finally, rename the staff style "Horns" or similar.

To move existing notes to the appropriate staff, and, assuming that all notes recorded or entered so far are on channel 1, select a note and then use the key commands Event Channel +1 to move them. Ch 1= top voice, ch 2 = middle voice, etc.

There is the corollary Event Channel -1 key command as well.

HTH.

926349607_Picture21.thumb.png.691614d476817122f2ec229bceeeefb8.png

EDIT - Sorry I should clarify here

2. Is it possible to set up a double stave on the same clef also as below, and playing identical parts but displayed separately - ie for a horn part split between 1+2 and 3+4? At the moment the notes will only display on the upper of the two staves, leaving the lower one empty.

Thanks

B

In order for identical parts to appear in the bottom staff, you'll have to copy and paste them into the same region, changing their MIDI channels after you paste so that they appear on the appropriate staff. I'd also suggest that once you're done that you switch the order of channels 2 and 3 in the staff style editor for "Horns" so that the higher notes appear (as is traditional) in the top voice of each staff. (click once on the image below to see the full view)

1720234190_Picture26.png.1767aacec5d0da7667e3b5957e23ec7f.png

"3. Is is possible to add accidentals, eg a natural, in parentheses other than using the text tool repeatedly?"

Do you mean guide accidentals? See Score > Attributes > Accidentals > Guide Accidental. This can also be assigned to a key command.

Beyond the tedium, you really don't want to use a text tool here. Different zooms and line layouts (and different spacing parameters, if you're deep in the weeds) will play havoc with the display of text events relative to notes.

Braces can be added in two places: in the staff style itself, and in the score sets editor. Here's how this game is played...

(Note that you're looking at screenshots of Page View. You will not see the same display in Linear View.)

In this first screenshot, you'll see the score set editor configured without braces and thus, the horn and trombone parts are not grouped together with them. The horn part's braces, however, were configured in the Horns staff style. Scroll the picture to the right and down to view the score sets editor's area for adding braces, brackets, etc.

1117598788_Picture32.png.75fb93c942b6cbc2fab2cdfe29cf5131.png

In this next screenshot, you see two single staff parts, violin and cello. Since the treble and bass staff styles they use (respectively) are one-staff staff styles, it's impossible to set braces for them in those staff styles. However, you can add braces in the score via the score sets editor. Scroll the picture to the right and down to see them set in the score set:

1252758411_Picture33.png.b122f0bcec514140a83b892b74c2ebb7.png