M-Audio 410 or MOTU 828 with new iMac

Hello there; I'm relatively new to this so please bear with me!

I've just bought a new iMac and thought I could hook up either my (fairly old) MOTU 828 or even my more portable (but even older) M-Audio 410 for audio recording. However, I didn't realise that new iMacs don't have Firewire inputs.

I bought a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter from the Apple shop in order to transfer data speedily from my previous MacBook Pro to the new iMac, and have ordered a 400 to 800 Firewire cable to connect up to the adaptor, which I was told would do that particular task the most efficiently.

However, can anyone suggest how I best proceed from here with regard to achieving efficient and good quality audio input? Can I use the above mentioned connector/cable to input audio via Thunderbolt, or do I need to buy a new audio interface? Perhaps there's a new Thunderbolt friendly audio interface out there and that might be the way to go, I'm just not sure!

Ean

I used an 828 via the TB to FW adaptor without issue here a few weeks ago as a test for a client's setup...

I actually put it at the end of a FW HD chain....

iMac -> TB to FW Adapter -> FW880 HD -> FW800 HD -> FW400 828

...and it all ran quite smoothly.... during an 8 hour recording session... while streaming several LASS combi's via Kontakt from the FW800 HDs... and not a single glitch or hiccup..

I probably wouldn't trust M-Audio stuff to do the same however.. I have always found their drivers to be temperamental, to say the least, under the best circumstances... let alone as part of a chain.

One tip however, when using the TB to FW adaptor for audio...

Under Energy Settings in OS X's System Preferences....

Make sure both Display Sleep and Computer Sleep are set to NEVER.... when working with Audio.

and..

"Put Hard Drives to Sleep whenever possible" is UNCHECKED...

There is a small bug, as yet unfixed, when using TB.. that can sometimes cause the TB to FW adapter to stop working when the Display is put to sleep... (or goes to sleep automatically) causing any Audio devices attached via the Adapter to hang, requiring you to restart them.... Hopefully Apple will fix this annoying little bug shortly but for now, using those settings, is a work around...

This bug appears to be present in both Lion and Mountain Lion.. (All versions to date) though it's been a while since i tested it under Lion.. but I haven't heard of any fix as yet, to prevent it happening

Currently I have my Motu Ultralites all connected via the TB to FW adapter and again, I have had no issues of any kind other than having to use the work around mentioned above to prevent the 'sleep' bug affecting things...

HTHs...

Thanks Nigel

So basically, as soon as my 400FW to TB cable arrives (is this the right one?: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110708619847?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649) I plug that into the iMac FW adapter I bought in the shop (http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Apple_Thunderbolt_to_Firewire_adapter_MD464ZM-A/version.asp?refsource=LDfroogle&gclid=CMbjjL20mLUCFa3KtAodcQsAVQ) and I'm ready to run, yes?

I also appreciate your further suggestions of disabling energy savers when audio recording.

my (fairly old) MOTU 828 or even my more portable (but even older) M-Audio 410

If you mean the original 828, I'm pretty sure that one came out some years before the M-Audio 410, or probably any other firewire audio interface. I have one and it's still alive and kicking 12 years after I bought it. :shock:

Stay away from M-Audio interfaces.

+1 on Motu.

I agree.

J.

It's the 828 Mk2 which appears to have been released in 2004, and I bought it second hand from my local music shop owner who used it himself from new, so I guess he bought it as soon as it was released, making it 7 or 8 years old.

However, it more than suits my relatively humble purposes, as longs as it works with my new iMac as well as it worked with my 2007 MacBook Pro!

So basically, as soon as my 400FW to TB cable arrives (is this the right one?: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110708619847?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649) I plug that into the iMac FW adapter I bought in the shop (http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Apple_Thunderbolt_to_Firewire_adapter_MD464ZM-A/version.asp?refsource=LDfroogle&gclid=CMbjjL20mLUCFa3KtAodcQsAVQ) and I'm ready to run, yes?

Yes.. the adapter is identical and the cord looks much the same as what I use too.. both with the 828 and now with my Ultralites... so you should be 'good to go' once you have both in your possession...

The 828 I used, was a Mk2 as well I believe... so again, this bodes well.

Let us know if you have any issues... though I think you should find it all pretty much so, 'plug and play' once you have installed the latest 828 drivers..

Cheers!

I got a used 828 mk2 and it was a real bargain.

There was a very detailed interface/converter shoot-out on gearslutz complete with frequency response graphs, samples..etc.( i hope it's ok to mention other forums here)

The 828 mk2 scored high...it's two preamps aren't the greatest but the conversion from its inputs did very well.

Unfortunately the thread has been tanked do to a few people in the debate getting out of hand (trolls).

Edited by metrobot