Insurance

zaque

Seems that just about everybody around here has a home studio. Often, this is for professional purposes. What type of insurance do you have and who is your provider?

I currently rent my house and have my studio in the basement. My renters insurance company (State Farm) says they won't cover my studio equipment because I claim it to be for business purposes.

Any recommendations or horror stories? Anybody have the unthinkable happen and have their studio robbed? Did your insurance company really come through for you?

Another company to try....

http://www.musicproinsurance.com

Rates are quite reasonable, policies are underwritten by a reputable company, and you can manage your policy online, which is pretty handy for adding equipment, etc.

Definitely get some kind of coverage, especially considering that your equipment is in a basement. Water damage is always a risk when below ground floor. All it takes one burst pipe, backed-up drain, or blocked runoff.