MIDI Experts!

anp27

Can anyone out there please explain this to me:

B2 13 Lo7

This is the Control Change message for one of the Transport controls. Can you explain what each number and letter means? Or at least point me to a source of reference that I can read? I have tried Googling.

Thanks

The first two items are expressed in hexadecimal numbers. The last item is shorthand referring to the lowest 7 bits of an 8 bit MIDI message, and can express values from 0 - 127.

B2 ($B2, or B2h) refers to control change (CC) messages on channel 3 (channel numbering starts at 0)

13 ($13, or 13h) refers to the controller number (in this case, controller number 19 or CC#19)

Lo7 refers to the data value corresponding to the position of the controller

Ok......

So the reason why I asked is because I just received an Edirol PCR-500 midi keyboard and I'm trying to map all the controls via the Editor software it came with. Trying to figure out how to map the transport controls to the transport buttons on the keyboard but I'm not sure how to do this. Any ideas? I tried the 'Midi Learn' route first but the keyboard (or Logic) didn't remember any of the assignments after 10 minutes went by.

You said that (something) didn't remember any of the assignments after a while. When it comes to troubleshooting this kind of thing...

• If you didn't change anything about your Edirol at all during your experimentations, then it very well could be Logic that didn't remember the assignments. One way to judge this is to look at your controller assignments in Logic and see if your assignments are still there, or, if they disappeared. However...

• If during your experimentation you changed something on the Edirol, it would be a fair assumption that Logic remembered the assignments just fine, but what you were now sending from the Edirol no longer matched up to what Logic was expecting to see after learning the controls.