Partial loss of audio (suspect aggregate?) [SOLVED]

skylark

Hello all...

I have suddenly lost some of the audio coming in via an aggregate device.

Everything had been working fine since the dawn of time and then... silence.

The aggregate device is 1) Apogee Ensemble, 2) MOTU 2408mk3, 3) MOTU 24i/o

All functions of the first link ---the Ensemble--- are fine. I'm just not getting audio from the MOTU units.

Signal is present at all points going in (all displays register signal on all aggregate components).

I have done all ---I think I've done them all--- the basic steps; multiple shut-downs of all components in various sequences, restarts, core audio reset, poked around Audio MIDI Setup, MOTU PCI Audio Setup, audio preferences, created a new aggregate device... And, yes, I have R'd the FM, and then some...

At one point I loaded another project and everything was fine. Now that won't even function correctly.

Can anybody help me locate the fault?

Edited by skylark

Now that won't even function correctly.

How does it function - I mean, what behavior do you see exactly, that's not correct?

One thing that can help you is to have a project created with all available inputs... so let's say your aggregate device has a total of 56 inputs, create a project with 56 mono audio tracks, first one has its input set to input 1 and "ascending" checked so you have 56 inputs from #1 to #56 record enabled in that project.

Then just pull that project when you're wondering on what input # a particular signal is supposed to come into Logic.

How does it function - I mean, what behavior do you see exactly, that's not correct?

Hi, David... Thanks in advance for your help, and apologies for any lack of clarity... I'm not hearing any of the audio from the MOTU components (even though they seem to be functioning in all other ways; meters showing correct signals, etc.). No input at Logic...

One thing that can help you is to have a project created with all available inputs... so let's say your aggregate device has a total of 56 inputs, create a project with 56 mono audio tracks, first one has its input set to input 1 and "ascending" checked so you have 56 inputs from #1 to #56 record enabled in that project.

Then just pull that project when you're wondering on what input # a particular signal is supposed to come into Logic.

I sorta have that, and I used it to troubleshoot this issue. I use my MOTU devices exclusively for MIDI instrument inputs and I have a template on hand that has all of the MIDI/audio inputs for those modules pre-routed.

So ---to recap---

• All of my main audio is working fine. (The first 10 ins/out of my aggregate... There are 42 in all.)
    My one external MIDI source is coming in on inputs 23 + 24 of my MOTU 24i/o (which are inputs 41 + 42 of the aggregate).
    All MIDI routing is correct and functioning and the MOTU 24i/o shows audio coming in. Ditto my MOTU 2408mk3...
    No audio from the MIDI module registering in Logic. I have created new audio tracks to substitute and... nada.
    I used my master MIDI template to troubleshoot and NONE of the 16 MIDI sources make a difference.

Could this be an (another) issue with Apogee drivers and Mountain Lion OS?

Doesn't seem to be. I mean, I switched to Lion without incident months ago ---and have been using the rig ever since--- and I have this one snag that originated about 48 hours ago.

What happens if you rebuild/re-order the Aggregate with the MOTU's first and second in the chain (as a temporary test)?

I did recreate a new aggregate with no success. Didn't re-order them though... In Audio MIDI Setup, I'm presented with a list of checkboxes/options and nothing seems to re-order them.

Thanks!

You decide on the order by selecting the checkboxes in the desired order: as you select the boxes to create your aggregate device, the interfaces are reordered.

Yep... Did that... I see that it wants to use clock from the MOTU stuff but, other than that, there seems to be no change. (And visually or numerically ---in AMS--- nothing indicates that any order was shuffled, regardless of how/when I selected them.)

[uPDATE] David... I loaded a project using that "MIDI troubleshoot" template again and ---oddly--- it worked this time. I had perfect audio input from all of my external MIDI modules, no problem. Then I went back to the problem project and... same issue. Loaded from the template again and... it works.

I have tried to find any differences/discrepancies between the channels and this is what I see [and it's the ONLY thing I see];

In the TRACK PARAMETER BOX of the Inspector... The NON-functioning channel shows Core Audio as Track 10, while the functioning channel ---remember, this is not the same project--- shows Core Audio as Audio 11. :? :?:

I have tried to find any differences/discrepancies between the channels and this is what I see [and it's the ONLY thing I see];

In the TRACK PARAMETER BOX of the Inspector... The NON-functioning channel shows Core Audio as Track 10, while the functioning channel ---remember, this is not the same project--- shows Core Audio as Audio 11.

That shouldn't matter... are the channel strip set to the same input numbers? Can you post a screenshot of the Mixer for the working project and for the problem project?

So I'm dutifully taking screen shots of the two projects ---one that works and one that doesn't--- wondering why David wants to see the mixers. I mean, there's nothing to see; no plug-ins in either channel, the same simple routing... Nothing! But as soon as I glanced at the images I realized that, on one channel... the... INPUT... button... was... "out..." :shock:

I knew this was going to happen someday! I knew I was gonna make a totally boneheaded mistake... in public! :oops:

Uh... For those of you old enough to remember Gilda Radner... "Never mind."

And, uh... Thanks, David and CCT...

:roll: