Vienna Special Edition Complete Bundle

Hello -

I'm thinking about expanding my instrumental library which is mostly orchestral/acoustical in nature. For me, it would be a major upgrade financially. The orchestral library that I'm thinking of getting is the Vienna Special Edition Complete Bundle. At Sweetwater Sound, this bundle costs a bit over $1700.00. It may look expensive but getting such an orchestral library is relatively cheap compared to other bundles by VSL.

Here's my question which is directed toward ANYBODY who knows VSL libraries. . . . Is it worth it?? Does it sound realistic enough and does it provide enough articulations to spend this kind of money???

Here's a link to the VSL web site that talks about this Special Editions Complete Bundle.

http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/261/2066/2090/2193/1776.htm

Thank you in advance for any additional information or any comments you may share.

Ted

I use it. But sparingly. It's only good for certain things in terms of how the sound of VSL instruments suit my style and musical sensibilities. I'll use the violins to sweeten those from other libraries. The clarinet is pretty good, and the french horns are very useful.

What I'm getting at here is that only you can really determine if the sound of it is right for what you do. Every sample library has its own vibe, and someones only certain instruments are appropriate for certain pieces. In short, no one library is "best" except for how it suits what you do or what you want to do.

Re VSL Special Edition specifically, it's not going to be "instant gratification" out of the box. The samples are recorded very dry and it will take you a while to find the right reverbs. Generally speaking, I wouldn't recommend it as a first sample library for orchestral music. You'll get a lot more instant gratification out of EastWest's orchestral instruments (their Complete Composer's Collection).

Thank you, Ski.

I already have some orchestral libraries (Kirk Hunter Orchestra, his Concert Strings 2 & Concert Brass 2 libraries, along with GPO, JABB, etc.) . So, I'm somewhat comfortable with sequencing orchestral projects. In fact, it's what I've been doing these past few years using Logic Pro. (Logic Pro has been WONDERFUL! My larger orchestral templet has 50+ instruments using a combination of the libraries that I have.)

As you probably know, the VSL Special Edition Bundle is fairly expensive being it's "entry-level" orchestral library. $1700+ is quite expensive for anything "entry-level", in my humble opinion! So, is it worth such an expenditure?!?!? I've been listening to their demos. The demos of their SE libraries are good! But they are not FANTASTIC!! VSL's more expensive orchestral library bundles sound FANTASTIC!! But, they cost s#!+-loads of $$$$$! Although I'm interested, that $1700+ investment for their "entry-level" orchestral bundle is looking mighty steep for me right now. I'm beginning to think that I could use that money for other things and simply stick with what I have in terms of orchestral libraries. What I have works just fine.

By the way, the Kirk Hunter libraries are really good. Often he seems to have specials for his libraries.

Again, thank you for your kind input. You're always helpful.

Ted

You're welcome!

I just took a look at the Vienna website again to see what was included in the Special Edition Bundle. As an aside, I was once again flummoxed by how they present their product offerings. I see Bundle 1 and 2, but no Bundle 3 or 4. Nooooo, those are named something else. Maybe. I think... LOL!

Here's my suggestion... Buy into the smallest version as a "starter set". Here's the link that I found to be the most useful in terms of understanding what the content of each package is:

http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/261/2064/1749.vsl

If you buy just the Special Edition #1 (or the Special Edition #1 PLUS) you'll get a very good idea for how the whole Vienna Instruments thing works and what it sounds like at the lowest possible price. Then you can add on additional instruments as needed.

Post back after (and if) you've made a purchase, and I'll hip you to a way to set up their instruments to be a lot more expressive.

Thanks for the link to the online dictionary, Ski. Never heard of the term, "genned up". Now I know what it means. I haven't decided if I'll start using it in conversation and bulletin board postings. But it's always nice to learn new terminology. :D Thanks for the "hip" and for helping me get "genned up"! :D

Sitcom - :roll:

You wrote the first lines of the script tho. :roll:

efiebke, genned up is British slang that I picked up from me ol' indoors* Anyway, the real gist of what I was saying (before comedy ensued) was that you don't need to spring for** the whole schmegeggy*** on a VSL package. Suggesting you start with a lower-priced purchase of one of the smaller collections and add to it as you see fit. VSL offers price breaks on sounds you add to a previously-purchased collection.

* British slang for "wife"

** spend

*** bastardized Yiddish term for kit and kaboodle****

**** meaning "the whole thing"