Yamaha HS50 or KRK Rokit 5/6

Having just moved and now have a room I can use I am looking at some monitors. The choice for my budget of around $500 Australian seems to be things like the Yamaha HS50 or KRK rokits.

The room is 3m x 2.4 and currently untreated.

Would I be better off saving the money and getting an amp for the B&W Solids hi fi speakers I have sat in storage?

It seems that Thomann are the best deal for me as they don't charge VAT when shipping to Australia.

Cheers,

Paul

This topic pops up from time to time on several boards. My experience is that I foolishly purchased the Rockit 6's knowing that I should have listened to the voice inside my head in the first place and purchased the Yamaha HS50M's. I hated the Rockit's and I ended up taking the hit and trading them for the Yamaha's. I'm happy with my decision.

I think that you will be well served by getting the monitors over using HiFi speakers which will effect the sound of your mix far more than any monitor will. As far as which monitor, you kinda have to listen to these for yourself and go with what your most comfortable with. Both KRK and Yamaha get good reviews.

As far as your room treatment, you can go DIY:

Xome7Lj-4z0?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="">

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e3jtqgTmEI

I managed a studio in a school for a while with big Tannoys and Yamaha NS10Ms. Those were very nice.

At home I have had Rokit RP5s and then Yamaha HS80s, and I thought both were good value for the price. I think they are both trustworthy brands for home studio use. They have different personalities, though, and for a while I mixed things too dark on the Yamahas, before getting used to them.

Thanks for the replies, I shall look at the treatment stuff when iiNet finally sort my DSL out..

There will be a limited amount I can do in a rental property, but I'm sure some improvement can be made.

Additionally has anyone had any experience with the Mackie MR5?

Ta.

+1 for the Yammies :D

I originally purchased the Rokit 5's but found them to be too boomy. Traded them for the HS50M's instead. Very happy. Keep in mind the HS50M's do not have a lot of low end though. Might need a subwoofer to compensate. You also get room treatment adjustments on the back of the HS50M's. Something to consider.

Good luck!

There will be a limited amount I can do in a rental property, but I'm sure some improvement can be made.

Yes, you can get some decent improvement: viewtopic.php?t=56367 Keep in mind this is only for the treatment of the reverb and tone of the room, and does not help at all with isolation.

Isolation requires heavy-duty construction techniques like replacing walls, windows, and ceilings, and redoing duct work and electrical conduits.

Forgot to mention...you might want to check out the Equator D5's. They've received outstanding reviews over at Gearslutz.com and everywhere else. If I could go back to the beginning before I purchased the Yammies I would have purchased the Equators! But then again...hindsight is always 20/20. :wink:

Check them out! :D