Professional Interviews: questions for you all

David Nahmani

I am playing with the idea of incorporating a new section on Logic Pro Help with interviews of professional artists, composers and music producers.

The goal would be to get an insight into various sectors of the music industry, while understanding how professionals use Logic Pro for their productions.

What I need to know is what kind of questions you would like to see answered in those interviews? Are you interested in the creative process? Learning about the industry? The technical aspect of using Logic Pro? All of the above? What else?

Thank you in advance for participating!

Edited by David Nahmani

Here's a few things I'm really interested in hearing about.

1. Film Composers working with Logic. Tips, tricks, work-flows, etc. Also curious about people doing commercial spots.

2. Studio setups are always fun to see and/or talk about.

3. Workflow - maybe even descriptions of Autoloads and/or custom templates

4. Favorite tips or tricks

5. What they find the most confusing about Logic - if for no other reason than to possibly give some of us around here feel like we know something :P

David -

More than anything, I think the interest will be in how these industry pros use Logic EXCLUSIVELY.

That is to say, I can get great results when I blend Logic with my UADs, Powercore, 3rd party plugs, outboard, etc. I'd be interested to know who is using Logic in a self-contained fashioned and what kind of results they can squeeze out of the software in its standalone capacity. For us mobile types, that's hugely important.

Secondly, I'd like to break their thoughts/ideas down into categories. (ie: Logic for production, Logic for mixing, Logic for Video, etc.) Surely, the engineers and producers will approach the product differently.

Lastly, it'd be interesting to see if any of these pros can duplicate the results/sounds of other products using Logic as their sole sound/effect source.

My $.02,

JG

David -

More than anything, I think the interest will be in how these industry pros use Logic EXCLUSIVELY.

That is to say, I can get great results when I blend Logic with my UADs, Powercore, 3rd party plugs, outboard, etc. I'd be interested to know who is using Logic in a self-contained fashioned and what kind of results they can squeeze out of the software in its standalone capacity. For us mobile types, that's hugely important.

Secondly, I'd like to break their thoughts/ideas down into categories. (ie: Logic for production, Logic for mixing, Logic for Video, etc.) Surely, the engineers and producers will approach the product differently.

Lastly, it'd be interesting to see if any of these pros can duplicate the results/sounds of other products using Logic as their sole sound/effect source.

My $.02,

JG

I agree, would be very intresting! Also maybe a find out exactly which plugs in when used, are the top fav amoungst the pros

Hi David:

This is an excellent idea. Having just come from the Miami Remix Hotel and sitting in on the VIP sessions, I can attest that seeing how professionals use Logic is very beneficial.

Even if it is kept generic there are things to be learned. I say this because to try to make things specific in terms of genre, Logic+rig, Logic exclusive, etc. could get to be a bit much. Any professional that is willing to take the time to share his/her two cents with us would be helping a great deal.

cheers,

David

...videotaping the local LA (and anywhere else) presentations of the LUG for playback on the site would be great.

Hi,

As a pro who has presented (and the one hour video has been posted "Round Trip Beat Making Techniques" http://seattle.logic-users.org/wordpress/), I'd suggest that rather than over categorize this section, that it would be best to let people share what and how they'd like to.

That way we aren't dictating anything and we're getting the Pro's own idea of their categorization, etc... Specifically, I know I'm going to piss off some of the dance music guys here, but the over-categorization of music that has happened over the last 10-15 years really blows my mind. I am a musician who tries to keep myself from being defined in any way, artistically or commercially. Has that had a negative affect on my career? Undoubtedly, but at the end of the day, who do I have? Myself.

Thanks for letting my spout,

John

Hello Folks,

Profiles, Production Ideas, Philosophy, Business, and Future. Definately anecdotes.

Digital Music. How they keep it Music. Personal Musical growth and development. Knowledge and Skill Bases. Important trends. The Love of the Game. The adventure of Ideas.

How they interact and work with other musicians. (musicians with DAWs and those that produce music with other means). How do non-DAW musicians wish to interact with them.

Creative Play, Composition, Recording and Mixing. Live Performance. Rehearsal, when the DAW is involved.

What are some of the professional team configurations they find themselves part of. For instance, working with a movie production.

Tips on how they make their Rig transparent to their enjoyment of playing and listening.

There's a section in Sound On Sound magazine where they take one of today's top mixers or producers and they go step by step on a current hit they worked on. There was one where they interviewed Dave Pensado mixing The Pussycat Dolls, "Beep", and "Buttons". He went though all his plugins and settings with photos and specific accounts on the sessions.

I think that would be great for top mixers and producers in Logic to do. Unfortunately, I think most are still mixing in Pro Tools, but never the less it could be a good idea. giving channel strip settings to specific famous tracks would be cool, educational and inspirational.

Let me know what you think...

Dream

I'd love to know how composers and other creative people deal with writers block. How they work around it, common exercises. I'd also like to know if they write/compose in-between projects to keep busy, and also what else they do in between projects.

Thanks,

Alan

Thats a Great Idea. I also like AlanH and dream's idea. Another possibility would be to post the name of the person being interviewed a week or two before the interview takes place and give us a chance to think of some questions to ask. Edited by Ras-D

I want to know how pros use Logic to record performers in a LIVE context and what sorts of plugin chains they have created for each instrument/vocal part.

Is there anyone out there who has found an effective way to record bands without a click track and STILL incorporate all of Logic's midi features.

What do producers do with live drums in Logic? I only ever read about BFD or Drumcore (which I use, BTW) in conjunction with the program.

What bands are using Logic and how?

Don't forget to ask about Life, the Universe and Everything. You never know, you just might get the answers.

Seriously David, I think this is a great idea. There was a decent article/interview in this months Virtual Instrument on a film composer and his Logic rig, how it was hooked up with external sampler PC's, how his projects were organized, etc. Lot's of screenshots and very thorough. This stuff is interesting to people at all learning levels too.

Go for it.

Great idea, creative and technical stuff id mostly be interested in... Future Music did a series of production videos where you could watch artists start a track and how they went about it. A similar feature (with video) for those working with Logic would be tres cool (but might also be asking a bit too much eh David?) 8)