Remove dialog confirmation before audio deletion

andymerlino

Hello I'm new to Logic but I really cannot find an answer in the manual about this small but (for me) annoying thing.

When I record an audio region in the arrange view then I want to delete it, I press Delete button but each time Logic is asking me confirmation if I want to keep or delete the audio from my HD... "Delete recorded audio file from disk?". I want to remove this confirmation dialog since it is interrupting my workflow. I don't care to decide in that moment if corresponding audio file can be removed. This is something I will address when I've finished the project and want to clean up.

Please tell me there's a way to avoid Logic from asking the same question for each audio region I delete... How??

Many thanks for your help

Andrea

• 3 months later...
yeah that works but is super annoying if you are trying to delete other files.. Is there not a way in the preferences to turn this dialogue off?

No, there isn't. And though I understand why you want rid of it, I think you can also understand why it is there. Audio recordings are unique things. And if there was a way to turn it off, you would someday delete a crucial take and curse the day you "unbuckled".

• 4 months later...

I'm sorry but I cannot understand why it is there. It isn't in pro tools. It isn't in Digital Performer. It isn't in FCPX, etc etc etc. This is egregious. I'm a big boy, I know the difference between deleting a region and deleting an audio file. In any pro workflow this is a huge time waster.

The responsible coder's thing to do is put a "don't show this dialog again" check box.

Does Apple read these posts?

I'm sorry but I cannot understand why it is there.

I absolutely guarantee that even the biggest, grownuppest of grownup boys will one fine day "oopsily" delete an audio file (= an invaluable take) because the region was still selected - it is just too easy. I completely understand why it's there, even though it also irritates me. That's why I am doubly glad that there is no option to turn it off.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the worst feelings is is when you delete an important edit or file, hit Save, and realize what you've done as soon as the save function has completed. -And there's not a near-enough recent autosave to recover. It's like an Alien Hand Syndrome Effect. And so I've sworn-off "hard deletion" and the "compacting" or "optimization" of audio files during production like I used to do in Studio Vision Pro and Pro Tools 4. There's plenty of storage headroom for audio nowadays, so it's not worth the risk of wasting time from deletion mistakes.

One thing that saved my beans in Pro Tools was that Original Time Stamp Spotting feature: Say what you will about my old 4-track Digidesign Audiomedia III card, SD2, SVP 3.5, and Pro Tools 4.1 in a Mac Quadra 840AV without any realtime DSP, but there was no latency and it never arbitrarily shifted my takes around under the guise of being some sort of "smart" mode: Once in-phase it stayed in-phase. -but you could only backup to DAT.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 years later...

This is the biggest annoying thing I found about record audio in Logic Pro X. I don't do it often, but when I do...holy smokes.

I get it...people make mistakes...can't we have the option to turn off the dialogue anyway for those of us who hate the dialogue more than a mistake? Say we mistakenly delete an audio file...we can always still press CTRL-Z to undo the delete. So...what other reason is there to not offer an option to disable that dialogue again?

• 6 months later...

DeathMeister welcome to the unlogical world of logic. lol. Here's the thing I find with logic. Ive been a Pro Tools guys for years now but find myself recently needing to work on logic due to the type of work coming my way that requires more midi and basically more electronic music capability. It surely is better that PT in that regard but they sure know how to over complicate what should be simple things. Take this topic we have here for instance of doing something as simple as rearranging tracks in the mixer window (in PT u just grab it and move it.) Logic makes you jump through hoops to get it done, like they'll have 52 ways to do it and its 32 levels deep. Why not just give us one solid easy way to do it?

Im really tryin to love Logic it but geesh. lol

Ima keep on trying though. Its getting a little more understandable bit by bit.

In my opinion there shouldn't be an alert but the file shouldn't be deleted from the drive either. It should only be deleted on purpose from the bin/pool. It might have been a useful feature 10s of years ago with limited HD space but currently it makes no sense. It is a vintage feature :)

With other programs I use, I just do a clean up at the end of a session and save a new copy of it.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I am not in need for a precautionary safeguard to prevent me from mistakenly deleting processes in a daw. if this was the case, I would need to enable the handicap dumb dumb assistance protocol... I hope they get rid of the dialog box or allow us who don't need the protocol assistance to bypass it in order speed up workflow.