View > Controls to get rid of the UI in plug-ins

fastfourier

When using processing plugins, try selecting "View->Controls" in a plugin window. It gets rid of the UI so there are no more meters to distract you. After all, we're supposed to be listening, not watching .. right?

Now, if only I could do everything with the screen switched off...

• 3 months later...

Yeah try that with Ultrabeat. Good luck with that. :mrgreen:

Now, if only I could do everything with the screen switched off...

Just close your eyes... :D seriously an important part of my workflow includes closing my eyes when I'm working, for example to get a level right, or the right amount of delay or reverb on something, without being influenced by numbers, or knobs/fader positions etc... impressive how your brain can trick you (it sounds good but there's no way I need the fader to be that high for it to sound good so I should bring it down anyway).

Currently reading this:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/media/inline/mind-reviews-thinking-fast-and-slow_1.jpg

Which explains clearly the flaws in our brains and how easily it can be duped into making the wrong decisions! Fascinating stuff.

But yeah, close your eyes. My advice for the day. :D

I do end up closing my eyes quite a lot, but they always have to open again to look at that damned screen. It's a very powerful single focal point, when compared to the work of years ago when your attention would be divided between the console, outboard, tape machine, MIDI gear, and probably some other people as well - Now I work alone quite a lot, and everything is samples on a hard drive...

But my next gig is recording on 2" with not a computer in sight, so it looks like I got my wish for the moment! Good riddance!

But my next gig is recording on 2" with not a computer in sight, so it looks like I got my wish for the moment! Good riddance!

Sounds fun - but make sure you get ready to having to explain to everybody a thousand times why it is they're waiting (for the tape machine to find a cue point). Seriously. Something like:

- Ok let's go back to the top of verse 2. Ready?

- Huh no, wait a minute (pushing rewind).

- Ok ready now?

- Huh no, the tape machine is rewinding...

- Is it about done?

- No wait it's just slowing down....

- Slowing down? Why doesn't it just go to the timecode you entered?

- It is, but in order to find the exact position it has to slow down, to locate.

- Can't you just click where you want to start playback?

- Click? Huh... it's a tape. There's no mouse.

- Does it have a plug-in to speed up the locating process?

- :roll:

• 1 month later...

when customers come to listen to "their" tracks the first time (after i did arrangement and production of the playback) it's really hard to keep their eyes from the screen and listen instead of watching. that's why i play a bounce in quicktime. but even there they are following the little playhead running from left to right. so i have the famous aquarium screen saver when i drive the cursor to the left bottem corner. and it helps me to for checking levels too.

i always thought "my brain is my friend". ok, most of the time...