LPX is too dark.

Cephalopod

I agree, LX is too dark. However, it's very easy on the eyes. Not sure if there's a happy medium or not, but I think the devs should at least take a stab at making an attempt to provide adjustments. Hell, there were preferences to let you adjust the color and intensity of the grid lines in the piano roll in previous versions (gone now, though :( ) so it's not like that kind of thing can't be done.

Also, I find the font size to be too darn large. I'm VERY used to the font size we had previously. Also, track heights can't be reduced in size to anything close to what we were used to in previous versions. My projects are typically hundreds of tracks, so now I have to scroll more to see them, and see less of them overall in the Main Window.

Why the font size had to change, and why track height can't be made smaller is beyond me.

So far, LX is pretty darn cool. But these things aren't cool at all.

I agree, LX is too dark.

No it's not. It is neither.

Potaytoes-potaatoes!

I say it's just fine

you say it's too dark

let's use a dif'rent daw!

However, it's very easy on the eyes.

Also, I find the font size to be too darn large.

Make your mind up already! Small fonts are uneasy on the eyes, and neither me nor you are getting any younger :cry: . But they should perhaps publish a sub-version called Logic Pro Geria, with enormous RED lettering, for the senior songwriter.

I'm VERY used to the font size we had previously.

(Of course you are. Hugs. There there. Now let go. Goodbye smaller Logic font! We will miss you! (though not for long - life goes on, and eyes deteriorate).

Also, track heights can't be reduced in size to anything close to what we were used to in previous versions. My projects are typically hundreds of tracks, so now I have to scroll more to see them, and see less of them overall in the Main Window.

:idea: You could buy a bigger screen... :mrgreen:

Why the font size had to change, and why track height can't be made smaller is beyond me.

That's because you're getting older, and slower of understanding, so things do tend go beyond you more frequently... "those kids nowadays"... Don't worry about it, it's natural.

So far, LX is pretty darn cool. But these things aren't cool at all. They're debilitating.

So your saying Logic is coolly debilitating? Or debilitatingly cool? And are you aware that this type of severe cognitive dissonance can trigger psychoses? Just a heads up...

:mrgreen:

Not dark enough.

However to solve this apple is waaay overdue fot something with their GUI.

GUI shade slider like Adobe...

I have all my Adobe products AS DARK as POSSIBLE. I would love to have OSX and logic match them (now they do)

But i can see why thats not for everybody

Erik,

That's because you're getting older, and slower of understanding, so things do tend go beyond you more frequently... "those kids nowadays"... Don't worry about it, it's natural.

I agree. I'm just too old to be doing any of this Logic stuff any more. I always thought I was just too old to ever become a player on Team Lemming, but after reading your post I think there's hope for me yet! So starting tomorrow, I'll join the Cult of Apple and blindly accept every change because after all, they know best, don't they? I'm sure you're right, I'm just attached to what I know. So for my own good it's probably best for me to relinquish whatever sensibilities I have about what I know to be good for me, my clients, and the tools that I use to get my clients to pay me as a result of having those tools. I have seen the light, thanks to you. There is only one way, and that's Apple's way. Free thinking is so 1964, innit?

FWIW I also agree LPX is too dark and its a shame there are not more options to customize.

I think it's fairly unanimous that on first blush LPX looks just gorgeous. Just like a nineties Berlin night club, doof, doof, doof, doof.....

But specifically areas of darkness and hard to read-ness that accumulate over time working with LPX are:

- empty slots have black writing on dark grey. There isn't enough contrast to work out what's there. From here I can just make out EQ and then there is something that says "$%£$" my blue konakt plug, then some thing else that says"£@$@£$". Of course I know what they are and where to look for them, but eyes are trying to read them anyway and it's tiring.

- the piano roll is just diabolical. Just open the piano roll in LPX and LP9 and then compare the two. Which is easier to read? Which one can you tell the velocities apart by colour most easily? What happens when you select notes in LPX? Do they change colour (ie brightness)? How easy is it to scan through the piano roll looking for anomalous colours for notes that are too soft or too loud?

- Track mute a track. Change the region colour. Can you tell the region is a different colour....ah yes because the region writing is a different colour - very hard to read.

- Muted regions - I am beginning to get used to them. There is just about enough contrast, but gee - it's not that easy to read.

- At low zooms, loops look like complete regions. It's not a massive thing but LP9 was clearer. I am not a fan of the rounded corners either.

Personally I find LPX too dark but manageable save the piano roll. But I remember LP8 was not brilliant when it came out but improved over time. I think one has to take the long view with these things. I know the UI is prettier than LP9 but I am definitely old school when it comes to form over function.

Just to be serious for a moment ( :roll: do I have to?): at this moment in time I think it is just too early days yet, there still too much (gui-wise) to get used/accustomed to first.

For professionals I can understand that this can be pretty annoying, some things that have become second (motor-) nature have to be un- or relearned, and the brain has to readjust to different colors/contrasts, different layouts, etc. The more time you've spent looking at and moving about in LP 9(-8-7-6-5), the harder (or less easy) it will be to un- or relearn all those tiny routines and habits, both in actions and in visual recognition.

There is validity in the argument that a professional tool should be adjustable. Maybe they could add some brightness/contrast/color tweaking options to the advanced tools? I would love to be able to adjust just the color saturation and brightness of the color palette, so I could make them more misty-pastelly looking... quick mock-up:

728727253_Pastelliercolors.PNG.cff03b995305a71be4ff56bf6681c69a.PNG

My experience is that actually now (after a fairly short initial resistance) I prefer the utter non-configurability of this GUI and the GUI colors. Configuring instruments, effects, mixer(s) and last but not least notes is hard enough as it is anyway, without the alluring procrastinative distractions of GUI tampering and color adjusting.

About the black letters on grey, I think I understand that, as the letters are actually just a sort of "help tags". In no time you'll know what is where on the channel strip and you will not need to read it anymore - no doubt people will then start requesting to remove some of these texts alltogether... :)

OK, I've given it several days. I stand by my original statement: It's too dark. This is not a matter of aesthetics, or resisting change. Every time I go from Logic to, say, Safari, I'm blinded. OK, maybe the problem is almost every other program is too bright. Including the Finder.

Look, I'm constantly adjusting the brightness level on my actual monitor. I'm not complaining about shades of grey and general appearance. I'd love to hear from some other 27" iMac users. We have bright screens. If Logic forces us to turn up the brightness, everything else outside of Logic will be too bright.

+1 to Cephalopod's sentiment. I purchased LX the day after it was released and have been living with it ever since. Bottom line: the color scheme is too dark. In some cases, it's literally impossible to read what's on the screen. I have three 27" monitors.

To help the situation, I opened system preferences (Displays) and created new, brighter and more contrasty color profiles for each monitor in an effort to get better visibility. Yeah, it helped. A bit. But it's a band-aid approach that isn't realistic to use: when I switch to any other application, I'm blinded by the overly bright appearance of every other app and window.

Nope, something must be done about this. It's not a matter of it being too soon and my not having gotten used to it. There's simply nothing to get used to! Bottom line: this color scheme does not work.

It's literally like working in the dark.

Thank goodness the score editor still displays dark notes on a light background.

And to put my money where my mouth is, I submitted a bug report to Apple via the Feedback page expressing this very sentiment. I would urge everyone to do the same. You'll find the Feedback link in one of Logic X's very own menus, so it should be a piece of cake to find it, click on it, and tell the how you feel.

I really appreciate what you've done and I hope something definitely comes of it.

Thanks DNA. The exchange with a Logic rep has been encouraging so far, with a further discussion scheduled for today. However, having just seen an example of a lighter arrange window that another user tweaked in bbedit, I know either way it's all doable now.

• 3 months later...
To be honest, we'll probably come back to it and hopefully be diggin' it - still it seems to be the old style over content thing as far as the dark look goes. Maybe it'll be cool with a bit of customisation. Logic 9 on SL is so solid built - hope LPX will turn out the same. Maybe a green leather look for the classisists? I guess it's only a DAW lol

Is there ANY aspect of LPX´ GUI that you guys find better than LP9? I like that you can see stereo waveforms properly, but thats about it..

I really like the larger "footprint".

For me it is easier to read everything on a higher density display.

Only the fact that you really can zoom in vertically into a waveform without using the Audio File editor is great.

Then there are small things like pre/post fader metering, pre/post fader sends...

I have to agree...

My Main issue is the mixer page... I find it hard to see the difference between channels and loading AU's is a pain in the bum bum!

TBH, I've moved back over to Logic 9, I find it much easier to navigate on... everything seems... easier! I like the layout better on L9 anyways!

I think it looks cool except for the channel strip, which has:

1. very thin meters

2. unnecessary "split buttons" for displaying the plugin UI or bypassing

3. send level control on a different side depending on pre/post fade

All of which leads to some wasted screen real-estate and a much more confused-looking channel strip IMO. Otherwise it looks great!