Downloading the same LP X content over and over? [SOLVED]

Ashermusic

Hi Jay!

It sounds to me that you are having some kind of a permissions problem.

The Drum Kit Designer are inside in:

/Library/Application Support/Logic/EXS Factory Samples/Drum Kit Designer Consolidated

Can you post a screen sot of that folder and of it's permissions?

Did that. There's almost 20 gigs of content in that folder.... .caf files.

Hi Jay!

It sounds to me that you are having some kind of a permissions problem.

The Drum Kit Designer are inside in:

/Library/Application Support/Logic/EXS Factory Samples/Drum Kit Designer Consolidated

Can you post a screen sot of that folder and of it's permissions?

Here it is.

2094779824_ScreenShot2013-07-29at8_03_49AM.thumb.png.16ca5d4a727791ae25ba139910a5e955.png

You must be connected to the internet to use all of the most current Adobe products.

That's simply not true. The app is local to the computer, not an online app, and it checks the authorization monthly if the user is on a month by month subscription or once every 99 days if the user is on the yearly plan. I'm not a fan of their new cloud thing but it doesn't require a constant internet connection and it does download the full app to the computer and run it from there like any other app.

Edited by mconnelly

So Bob Hunt of Apple flew back in fromTokyo, found my email, and sent me a replacement folder for the Drum Kit Designer sampler instruments, and BAM, it now all works! What is odd is that it looks identical to the one I had. Don't know why it worked but I will take it. Thanks to Bob, and also thanks to all others who tried to help.

You must be connected to the internet to use all of the most current Adobe products.

That's simply not true. The app is local to the computer, not an online app, and it checks the authorization monthly if the user is on a month by month subscription or once every 99 days if the user is on the yearly plan. I'm not a fan of their new cloud thing but it doesn't require a constant internet connection and it does download the full app to the computer and run it from there like any other app.

I didn't know that, thanks for the correction mcconnelly.

I'm still not a fan of cloud subscription either which is why I recently bought the Adobe CS6 Master Collection so I could have the discs.

So Bob Hunt of Apple flew back in fromTokyo, found my email, and sent me a replacement folder for the Drum Kit Designer sampler instruments, and BAM, it now all works! What is odd is that it looks identical to the one I had. Don't know why it worked but I will take it. Thanks to Bob, and also thanks to all others who tried to help.

WoW. Well... glad to hear somehow it's gotten fixed. So odd. Well at least now you can move on and make some music! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap this is so annoying - an entire thread dedicated to downloading the friggin' software.

I just downloaded the app but i don't have the space to download most of the additional content let alone keep it on my MBP hard drive - "downloading piece by piece and then moving them to an external" sounds like great fun if you fancy staying in all day and night watching barber poles.. very wack indeed Apple.

So what´s the solution exactly? To me the problem isn´t solved - since I used symlink folders (like I did before in LP9.1.8) the content wants to be installed over and over, downloading for days, and finally can´t be installed.

I have to say that I´ve already have the 28GB of additional sounds downloaded (when having LPX installed on my SSD straight from the app store)… But if I create a Drummer track, the sounds are missing, with a EXS I got a spinning wheel for minutes, but finally the samples get loaded… definitely no workflow! :cry:

Would a new spotlight scan help maybe? Or any other suggestions?

Cheers

Mike

Suffering from exactly the same problem. Everytime I open up Drummer it tells me that the content needs to be downloaded, despite the fact that the additional content downloader says that everything is installed and a search of the drive shows that the files are definitely there.

Contacted Apple Care. Got absolutely nowhere. The final piece of advise was to initialise my hard drive. Brilliant.

I have literally spent days installing and redownloading. The data is definitely on the drive. I must have downloaded it four times, hours upon hours maxing out the broadband connection where I am, much to the chagrin of other users. It is pathetic that Apple refuse to provide install discs and expect customers to download upwards of 35 gig of purchased software. Insult to injury when you are put in an endless loop of redownloading the same 35 gigs over and over and getting nowhere.

This is a week that I'll never get back. The last contact with Apple Care came to the conclusion that I should just keep redownloading or wipe the drive.

Which means, I am praying that someone here has found a solution.

And the irony is that Drummer was the only reason I upgraded.

To me the problem isn´t solved - since I used symlink folders (like I did before in LP9.1.8) the content wants to be installed over and over, downloading for days, and finally can´t be installed.

What happens if you stop using symlinks?

Hello Eric,

I´ll try this next but first I have to realize the needed amount of disk space in backing-up/erasing other stuff… that´s why I´m asking here to find a better solution. I think it will work as expected, bur I can´t (and don´t want) have a single app having almost 30 percent fo my system disk space. With symlinks and Logic content I had no problems for years…

To be honest, the whole data structure of Logic Pro seems like weird and outdated to me. The mad interconnection with garageband content and the two logic folders - one in system/application support, the other in user/application support, a bunch of data in the user/music/logic/ folder… and so on… why is that? Definitely NOT Logic - or maybe too Logic for me…

btw, I found out they changed the priority of the Logic folders: before LPX, the "important" folder was the user/application support/logic; now it seems to be the system/application support/logic - that needs to be saved by admin rights and I guess this might be the reason why it´s not working with links no more… but my first idea to put all the content links into the user/appsupport/logic wasnt´t successful…

I just wanted to make music :-(

I finally got around to installing the Drummer/DKD content (20GB) today, and ran smack into the problem: Drummer/DKD insisted on re-downloading "missing content" that was already there (everything else was working fine, including other aliased relocated samples). With the help of Aaron @ Apple tech support, I found the solution, at least for my system..

We went through a series of tests that showed that it was not related to disk repair, permissions, use of Logic 9 Projects, etc, eventually isolating it to something in my user Logic support folder (now called "Audio Music Apps")—letting LX recreate a new empty one from scratch solved the problem, and Drummer/DKD was fine.

Afterwards, as I restored my user items piece-by-piece, I further isolated it to a folder in my user Sampler Instruments folder which, for some strange reason was named "Factory" (with one EXS string preset in it !?). I renamed it to something else (Factory String or some such), and all was well—I was able to restore all the other older user content with no more issues. I was even able to move the Logic & GarageBand sample content, including the DKD samples (around 35GB or so in all) off the startup drive to an external sample content drive, referenced via aliases (not symbolic links)..

I assume Drummer/DKD was checking the user support folder (as Logic always has done) and somehow confused this "Factory" folder with a real one that it thought should have some needed content (although I didn't notice one under that exact name in the root Library)..

This was obscure enough that it certainly won't be a universal solution for people still having this issue, but maybe it can help point someone in the right direction..

Cheers,

Joe

Hey Joe, thanks a lot for this contribution! It solved my problem and made "Drummer2 run on my system in 2 minutes!

Here´s what I did:

I went to the folder user/application support/logic and killed all aliases/links in it, created the folders EXS Samples and EXS Factory Samples new and left them with zero content

I went to the folder system/application support/logic and renamed it into "• Logic old"

I restarted Logic X, it asked me if I was a newbie or not - after responding it started with downloading content (2GB…)

As I was downloading too much the last days I quit Logic hard by using the finder - certainly WITHOUT completing the download!

I renamed the folder "• Logic old" into "Logic" and restarted Logic X

It came up with the loading window, then I created a new song, new drummer track and it sounded like a drummer! 8)

Thanks again, Joe! You´re highly appreciated for that!

Cheers

Mike