Playhead/Position Line Missing, Logic Pro X

mkre9319
Go to solution Solved by Eric Cardenas,

I got a mac with a version of logic pro x apparently pre-installed but it was pirated so I removed it all and bought the actual version. I've been unable to see the Playhead on either version, have tried pressing 1 on the keyboard, restarting, reinstalling, but I have no idea how or why it won't work. I'm on a MacOS Monterey 12.2.1 and my logic is version 10.7.2. I don't know what I'm doing wrong

• 10 months later...

From what I've read regarding this issue it is related to the hardware of each person's specific Mac. If you upgrade to more recent MacOS versions and Logic Pro versions, they utilize Metal for hardware acceleration and graphic processing - Apparently the playhead in newer versions of Logic Pro utilizes Metal GFX processing and if you've bypassed Apple to install newer OS and software versions onto older hardware that does not support Metal graphics then you will be SOL. It's a common practice. Ableton Live utilizes Metal on MacOS as well, although, they offer an option to include a text file in Ableton's file scheme which diverts processing from Metal to CPU - so it's something Apple could do but they choose not to. Obviously they themselves designate certain hardware as outdated and thus unsupported, and they thus drop support for that older hardware as well completely in favor for their newer hardware- not without intention. Even though something as simple as a playhead could easily be maintained for this 'unsupported' hardware so that it uses different gpu schemes to render. Personally I call it greed.

Edited by Sheepchase
who cares

• 10 months later...
On 1/6/2023 at 7:48 PM, Sheepchase said:

From what I've read regarding this issue it is related to the hardware of each person's specific Mac. If you upgrade to more recent MacOS versions and Logic Pro versions, they utilize Metal for hardware acceleration and graphic processing - Apparently the playhead in newer versions of Logic Pro utilizes Metal GFX processing and if you've bypassed Apple to install newer OS and software versions onto older hardware that does not support Metal graphics then you will be SOL. It's a common practice. Ableton Live utilizes Metal on MacOS as well, although, they offer an option to include a text file in Ableton's file scheme which diverts processing from Metal to CPU - so it's something Apple could do but they choose not to. Obviously they themselves designate certain hardware as outdated and thus unsupported, and they thus drop support for that older hardware as well completely in favor for their newer hardware- not without intention. Even though something as simple as a playhead could easily be maintained for this 'unsupported' hardware so that it uses different gpu schemes to render. Personally I call it greed.

This is my issue with an older MacBook Pro (early 2011). It's running Ventura 13.6.1 (Open Core Legacy Patcher) and it refuses to draw the Playhead. 

Can someone tell me which version of Logic Pro was pre Metal GFX processing? 

or better still ...

Is there a patch/solution to rectify this using OCLP?