LPX - hanging? + screencast: anyone having these problems?

Blatboy

Anyone having problems with LPX hanging?

I have one session that seems to hang every 5 minutes, then I have to force quit and reboot logic. Rebooting computer doesn't help. It only seems to be this session, which of course the deadline was 15 minutes ago and I've barely gotten started. Sometimes if I load the session, and don't touch it for the first 5 minutes, it'll lock up too.

(of course I shouldn't have put actual WORK on a .0.1 release. What was I thinking?)

I'll try to do more testing once I pull out of deadline frenzy...

Edited by Blatboy

Allright. Still having hanging problems with this session. I've now moved the session to my laptop*, and it still acts the same. I'm getting strange scrolling behavior in the arrange page. I'll move the horizontal scroll bar, and it'll keep going back to it's original position. Zooming in also doesn't work

If I don't touch logic for a while, it'll give me the BBOD.

Sometimes, if I try to open a plugin, I'll get the BBOD.

I may have to try to bounce this and then import it into L9. This was due on Friday. Oy.

I've made a screencast to show what's going on as I'm sure my descriptions here don't do it justice.

Here's the link if you don't mind checking it out: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6CaoNB43lqPVDBWQU4zYm11UFU/edit?usp=sharing

Has anyone been having these kinds of problems? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

* Laptop is early 2009 Mac Pro 2.9 Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB Ram UAD Solo/Laptop running 10.8.4

Ugh. Can't work more than 5 to 10 minutes without it BBODing and having to force quit.

I tried cutting down the session to just the bare min of instruments I needed, and also took out one of the third party instruments (chipsounds...using the aria player) but no change.

I uninstalled a video driver that causes some other weirdness in OSX, (Xdisplay/splashtop streamer)

no change.

So, I'm in the process of bouncing all the audio out of this cursed session so that I can import it into L9.

In that process, I've disabled all plugins (with the exception of a few instruments) and am still getting the same behavior. I usually can work on a session for about 5 or 10 minutes, then I'll get the BBOD, have to force-quit, then reboot the session. (Thank goodness for the new auto-save feature)

As a side note, I've done a few other jobs on LPX without issue. I generated splits on a complete episode of the show I'm working on... a 12 minute session with around 50 tracks chocked full of audio, MIDI, and plugins galore. I did not experience any of these kinds of problems on that session. I still haven't been able to figure out what may be the issue here.

It's gonna be a long night methinks.

It's getting worse.

Just trying to export my audio out of this session... been trying to bounce regions in solo mode. It takes logic about 2 minutes before it wants to play any of the tracks I want to bounce...yet other ones play. Of course, once the two minutes pass, I might get one bounce before BBOD. Frustrating, since I have 30 regions to bounce.. It's probably going to take me another two hours just to get this audio outta here. Then I still have another two to three hours of work in Melodyne and LP9 to get the job done.

I'm starting to feel like this is perhaps a corrupted session or something. I shouldn't have trusted actual work on this early of a release. I even knew better, but it just seemed that everything was solid from the get go. I was wrong. Let my pain be a lesson to you. It is to me. Though it shouldn't have been. I've been doing this way too long to have actually fallen for this. What a fool am I!

Well, what should have taken me 10 minutes, bouncing the files, took about two hours.

That being said, I think I've successfully escaped from the session of doom. Curious if anyone else will run into this type of an issue. I'm hesitant to trust LPX for real work for now, as it's cost me serious hours and a missed deadline for a client that was probably already somewhat annoyed with me. :x

That being said, looking at all my posts here... I think I probably am somewhat annoying. :roll:

Therefore, you won't hear from me again tonight unless I solve this mystery. I doubt that will happen. I don't plan on opening LPX again this evening unless I absolutely must.

That being said, looking at all my posts here... I think I probably am somewhat annoying. :roll:

Therefore, you won't hear from me again tonight unless I solve this mystery. I doubt that will happen. I don't plan on opening LPX again this evening unless I absolutely must.

I didn't find your venting to be annoying at all. It took me three days to get a new plug installed (having finally resorted to downloading and installing it on my laptop, then copying it into the correct machine). Your vent is MILD compared to the stuff that was coming out of my mouth last night. I could've made a sailor blush.

Well, reading through all your posts, to me it sounds the most like symptoms of a funky 3rd party plugin. I know you said you disabled a lot, but is/was there one on a hidden track? Or an Aux? Somewhere else you're unaware of?

I was having similar problems, but I pinpointed my problem to having two video cards in a hackintosh. Once I took one out, everything has been great (minus bugs and removed features). However, this makes me wonder if you are running other programs simultaneously as Logic which might be conflicting? Maybe something which loads at first boot?

I've had scrolling issues a bit similar on my project lately. They don't seem to last forever but especially right after opening the project horizontal scrolling acts all weird and pressing "return" for example won't take the playhead to the beginning of the song. This behaviour would seem to go away with a bit of waiting and playing around with the playhead.

My project was recorded on LP9 but I started mixing it on LPX and it's been fine up until lately. I don't know if it's just the project getting more complex with busses etc. or the little automation I added but it would seem to make Logic very slow now. No crashes but lots of "disc too slow" and "the audio engine was not able to process all required data in time..." messages and the spinning beach ball. I haven't had a need to force quit though. No 3rd party plugins used.

I haven't done much troubleshooting on it yet and I'm not on my Mac right now but your description just sounded similar enough so I thought I'd give a shout.

I appreciate the posts here.

There were absolutely no 3rd party plugins in my session by the end of it, and I was still getting the hangs. There were barely any plugins at all, just a couple instances of EXS24.

Indeed, some of the weird horizontal scrolling problems would go away after a few minutes, or with some messing with the playhead/scrolling/zooming. Once that was free, I could track ok... but eventually, if I hit a button (bounce, a plugin, the flex dropdown, etc) it would lock up. Last night sucked. Today has been pretty rough due to lack of sleep and lack of a decent attitude.

My instincts feel it has something to do with disk access? I dont' know why I feel that way, but I do think it's a possibility. I also noticed that when I opened up any sort of file dialog window, it would never show the files... I'd just get the spinning thingy (what the hell you call that thing?) acting as though it was waiting for disks to spin up. The finder itself seemed to be ok, but the file dialog boxes were never able to show me files...

Ugh.