LPX: can't figure out Piano Roll selection behavior

MikeShapiro

This is driving me a bit batty. In L9 I would click on a region and hit my key command to summon the Piano Roll Editor; said editor window would appear with the notes of the region displayed, just as you'd expect.

In L10 if I do this, the Piano Roll Editor opens to display... nothing. It seems to pick a random point in the timeline that has nothing to do with the currently selected region.

If I click a region, then click on the Editors button... same thing. No data. Phantom region.

But if I open the Piano Roll editor window FIRST, and then click on a region, it shows the MIDI data as expected.

Anyone know if this is a bug or feature? I'm very used to clicking on a region, hitting a key command, and seeing the MIDI data ready to be edited. The current state of affairs adds two extra keypress steps to this frequent process, which is a real pain.

I ran into a related quirk in the piano roll. When I open it, the window displays no information and the slider on the bottom of the window that allows you to pan left and right does absolutely nothing until I grab the corner of the window and resize it (or even nudge it). Once I do this, the slider becomes active and works as it should. THEN I can scroll to the right and find the region that should have come up as soon as I opened the piano roll region in the first place.

There's a lot of things not working or changed in the Piano Roll. It's one of the main editors in Logic, so why would the developers take out functions/features?

Another thing I've been experiencing, while using the key command to flip through MIDI CCs in the PIano Roll/MIDI draw, is if I hit the key command rapidly, the MIDI draw area will collapse and not come back up with the next hit of the key command even though the MIDI draw icon at the top is lit up. I have to hit the key command a couple times for it to come back up. This didn't happen in Logic 9--I could hit the key command as rapidly as needed and the CC area would keep up with it.

• 4 weeks later...

More about this bug/issue:

- Not fixed in 10.0.3

- It doesn't seem to affect sequences at the beginning of the timeline. In fact, the nature of the bug seems to be that when a sequence is opened in the piano roll editor, the view moves back to the start of the timeline. Hence, you get a fine view of any MIDI data that happens to be there, but have to scroll or jump to find any data elsewhere.

- Any fixes/workarounds are still welcome. Right now I just hit "select all" and then zoom to fit data.