VEP5 and Logic X - questions

AdInfinitum

I'm experiencing more levels of upgrade hell than Dante could have even imagined. I have three Macs, a Octocore, IMac and MacBook Pro, each happily running Logic 9 and Snow Leopard. Depending in whether I'm in my home studio, in my work office or around the house, I pull ilok and other dongles from one setup to another and can run my set-up pretty much the same except for Powercore and UAD stuff that is on my Octocore.

Anyway, I knew that my laptop was running out of HD space and I couldn't load up the latest updates. So, I figured I'd get a larger HD and migrate to ML and Logic X - as an experiment in utter frustration, since I knew about the loss of 32 bit plugins (like my dear Prosolovst), a new GUi and SOP for the software . . . Again. Plus the fun fun fun of locating serial numbers, activation codes and passwords for long forgotten accounts to get upgrades that would work on the new system.

So, I transferred the old drive to the new and updated the OS and Logix. One day shot there.

next day try getting logic X running. Loads of plugins I thought were 64 bit weren't. Then learned that only some of Artuirias and Gforces are 64 bit and that NI, I had to buy Komplete 9 to get back to status quo. Finally after a few days, everything was working except Waldorf and hopefully, I get the proper upgrade from them.

Now, I really like some of the 32 bit plugins, I use GSi organ plugin on everything, as well as the Prosolovst and a few others. So, I bit the bullet and picked up VEP5 on Friday. Of course, I didn't get the activation code until late Monday. Loaded up the program and had it go through its own AU validation process.

I watched a good video on running VEP5 on Logic X; however, I'm not doing something right. When the YouTube user opens the non-server app, he can save a plugin as an "instance". For example Sylenth. Which acts like a preset for that AU. While I can call up a plugin in, there is no where to save the instance so you can load it up on the server version running in Logic X. If anyone knows how to get VEP to work on a single computer I'd appreciate it.

It's not quite as you described. But this should set you on the right path. Here's the procedure:

• Launch the 32-bit version of VEP (called the 32-bit server). Then launch Logic.

• Back to VEP. In the server you create an "instance". That's VEP's term for a virtual rack in which you add your plugins. The plugins in VEP are no different from what they were when you were using them in Logic. You've simply instantiated it in VEP, not Logic.

To keep things simple, let's say you add one Sylenth plugin to the "instance". Now...

• In Logic, you create a new software instrument. Then you add a VEP "server interface" plugin to that instrument channel strip, exactly in the same place where you'd have instantiated Sylenth in the past.

• Now open that plugin and you'll see a list of instances. Pick the one that's hosting Sylenth.

That's it, you're done. When you play, MIDI goes from the Logic software instrument, via the VEP plugin, to the VEP server. MIDI hits Sylenth. Sylenth's audio output returns to Logic right in the instrument channel strip itself.

For folks doing 32-bit AU hosting, and/or networked audio, is VEP the better solution, or Plogue Bidule? I'm leaning towards purchasing VEP, but I see Bidule mentioned a lot. I'm not looking to do all the cool processing stuff that Bidule offers (well, at least I think I'm not).

Is there anything you can say about this that would help give me a good "steer" here?

Thanks!

Ski:

Thank you for the reply. The problem is that Logic X doesn't seem to see the "instance" of the VEP. On the video, he was able to "add" Sylenth as an instance in the standalone. I don't seem to have that ability, only "save a project." Back in Logic, there is no way to hook the plug in to the standalone by connecting to the instance. So the plug in says "unconnected."

VEP is only a standalone application.

There are two versions: a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version. Both can run simultaneously.

They're referred to as "servers".

The VEP plugin you install in a Logic software instrument lets you establish a connection between the instrument and whatever instances exist in either server. It's referred to as a "server interface".

Logic Software Instrument (hosting VEP Server Interface plugin) ---> VEP Server