Multiple Monitor Screensets not staying put

maintitle

OK. I'm thinking that having "Giant" counters is a culprit in this. So far, of the two people who've responded, plus my own experience, we've all got Giant counters and we're having screenset problems. So that's just my hunch. On a L9 project right now so I'm not in a position to test atm, but fwiw (and other acronyms) I only started experiencing this when I started add the Giant Beat counter to my projects.

I'll also add that I've been keeping multiple LPX projects open simultaneously without a hitch, but around the time I started adding Giant Beat counters is when I began experiencing this issue.

So, while not conclusive, it's a potential trail of anecdotal breadcrumbs.

Ski,

It appears that your theory about giant smpte and/or bar display triggering this may be correct. Ran a test to tonight. Opened a new LPX file and imported screen sets from one of my templates. Unlocked all screen sets , arranged them and removed all giant displays (I had three). After rebooting several times everything seems to now be staying put. Will test again in the morning...

I worked all day on a LPX session sans giant SMPTE & beat counters and had no problems with screen sets staying put and locking. Tomorrow I will try my other template with the counters and report in. Really hoping Maverick will solve this. Digging LPX. The drummer and amp presets are slick and quick. Had a few odd events but that may be operator error.

Pleased to report that after 2 days of working without Giant displays, all windows in multiple screen sets are staying put.

Thanks to Ski for figuring this bug out!!! I doubt I will be upgrading to Mav when it comes out as I usually stay well behind the curve on my work machines so I am not plagued with exactly these kinds of issues.

Again, thanks Ski. You've saved me hours of time!!!

Bad news on this front. After removing all Giant Displays a week ago, I opened my large orchestra template today and found all the windows of 7 of my 8 screensets resized and stacked on my main computer monitor. Grrrrrrr.

The only one that stayed put is a screen set without a level meter on the same screen that the movie plays on. I will remove it too and test further.

I've been having a similar problem recently -- it started after I switched the physical order of my monitor connections -- I have 3 monitors hooked up. I don't use the Giant display, so that's not an factor in my rig. When I open sessions, the main arrange window goes to a different monitor than it was saved to. I guess all windows are on that monitor now that I think about it. Maybe I'll move my connections around and see if it helps. I have a MacPro -- 2 mini-to-DVI connectors and a direct DVI connector as well.

To add a little more mystery to the mix: My template keeps the two giant (beat & smpte) displays in place on my top center monitor while collapsing the piano roll and mixer screen sets under my main arrange screen set. I am holding out hope that Maverick's multi screen features will solve this. And, I usually run a plug in TR Meter on the top center screen. It held for a while but now it too shows up on the arrange screen. Yikes!

• 3 weeks later...

Coming to this topic a little late….

I use a single monitor only (30-inch Apple display) and I've had this bug since day 1 with Logic X. (Now on 10.0.4)

Seems to me that the windows are usually squeezed into what would be a smaller screen size, i.e. top left of the screen. However, at times the main window enlarges to fill the entire screen space.

I don't ever use a giant transport display as discussed above. This seems to be a random bug with screensets and window positions.

I have reported this to to Apple (twice) and I'd suggest that everyone here files a bug report as well - the more the better.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
A bit late, but I MAY have solved this problem. In the Mission Control Preferences page DESELECT "Displays have separate Spaces". (You'll need to log out and back in again.) I did this and now my screensets are recalling properly, putting the proper windows on the proper screens. Anyone else ? (The downside to this is that you lose the Apple Menu bar at the top of the extra displays. I may keep fiddling.)

• 1 month later...
A bit late, but I MAY have solved this problem. In the Mission Control Preferences page DESELECT "Displays have separate Spaces". (You'll need to log out and back in again.) I did this and now my screensets are recalling properly, putting the proper windows on the proper screens. Anyone else ? (The downside to this is that you lose the Apple Menu bar at the top of the extra displays. I may keep fiddling.)

VEEEERY late to the game. Interestingly I never had any issues with L8

Now with my new Mac and LX was driving me crazy. At least screen lock worked, not perfectly, but good enough.

Will try this too!

The downside to this is that you lose the Apple Menu bar at the top of the extra displays. I may keep fiddling.

I found this anyway distractive. But I was used to it without having the bar on all screens on my old Mac with L8

The downside to this is that you lose the Apple Menu bar at the top of the extra displays.
I found this anyway distractive. But I was used to it without having the bar on all screens on my old Mac with L8

The downside with this method is that the screens are linked together. Swiping to the second space on one of the monitors forces the other one to follow.

Good news - update. I went back to Mission Control and re-selected "Displays have separate Spaces". Logged out and back in and now screensets are behaving properly. Maybe its one of those weird, Apple, "turn it off and on again" things. I'm on a Mac Mini with three displays (Native Display Port, HDMI, USB) and all seems good so far.

• 1 month later...

Actually - now that I've reinstated Spaces, I've actually made a few templates WITHOUT screensets. I find swiping my trackpad between spaces (with different Logic windows) is actually faster. Screensets, (on my mac) have a bit of a lag to their redraw. And with Control keys I can move instantly to different spaces - so I don't have to swipe through many.

This may become my new workflow. Has anyone else used this method?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
I'm having that issue of misplaced windows when the separate time code and bar windows are open now too.

I recently upgraded to Logic X and have had the same problem until today. Taking from this thread I checked into Mission Control. I've posted before and after screenshots of my settings in Mission Control. Having ONLY "Displays have separate Spaces" checked seems to have done the trick. I have three displays and I use the floating Control Bar at the bottom of the third display and all is working as expected now. I did not have to redo my screen sets, they just started working properly after making this simple change in Preferences.

After (current settings that make my screen sets work properly)

Before.png.d6ea6470f88f4a786c2e324466cd9ec4.png

Before

After.png.fecf0bc60e98925213003b00116f1f08.png

• 9 months later...