DM10 hi hat continuous control in logic pro X

scberry

Hey Shawn. Glad to see you're back, I thought you gave up.

Ok that's good news that your CC messages are definitely getting to your Mac. But it makes it even more baffling as to why they're not getting into Logic.

Ok, now let's see what happens if you get your DM10 transmitting over channel 1 instead of channel 10. Go into the Utility menu of your DM10, then into the MIDI submenu, and change "Drum Chan" from 10 to 01. Verify the change took place correctly by checking again in MIDI Monitor, then go into Logic and re-perform your hi-hat pedal test and see if Logic picks up the CC4 messages (again don't forget to set your mapping in Drumkit Designer to V-drum - it can be easy to forget to do this every time if you don't have it set as the default).

Hehe.. not that I didn't consider giving up ;)

So, went in to the dm10 brain and set the Drum Chan from 10 to 01. I didn't have a lot of time this morning so I think I will have to do it again based on what I got:

Snoize showed that the signal was still coming through chan 10 per the screencap attached.

In logic with a drum kit set to Vdrums, hi-hat gave me a closed strike sound and nothing else, no matter pedal position

I again looked at the dm10, I exited the Utility completely, then tapped back into it and the Drum Chan was still set to 01.

I'll consult the manual tonight, but in the moment, it was easy enough to set the channel to 01 but I didn't see any cryptic abbreviation on the buttons that would suggest I had to hit some kind of "enter" or "commit change" button to confirm the change. I figured exiting out of that menu all the way back to the top level/default menu that shows up when you turn on the dm10 and then tapping back into the DrumChan to see if it reverted back to 10 would be confirmation enough. I did that twice (coming all the way out of the menus and then back in) and it stayed at 01.

So it was confusing to see that snoize still says it's coming in on 10.. so maybe there is some kind of 'confirm' button I have to hit for the change to take but as I said, I'll have to look it up tonight.

That's all I got today... :S

1080299816_ScreenShot2013-09-12at9_07_10AM.png.0ffc4029efa5242b519981548845f5af.png

Hi

Had a quick look at this..

I have an external device set to transmit MIDI CC4 on MIDI Ch 10, whilst I play the HH notes via a keyboard on MIDI Ch 1.

F#1 and A#1 work correctly: giving closed to open HH sounds (inversely mapped (ie CC4 value 0= Open, value 127=closed).

G#1 is always a pedal HH and NOT affected by CC4

Is the eDrum sending the right MIDI notes?

CCT

Hi

Had a quick look at this..

I have an external device set to transmit MIDI CC4 on MIDI Ch 10, whilst I play the HH notes via a keyboard on MIDI Ch 1.

F#1 and A#1 work correctly: giving closed to open HH sounds (inversely mapped (ie CC4 value 0= Open, value 127=closed).

G#1 is always a pedal HH and NOT affected by CC4

Is the eDrum sending the right MIDI notes?

CCT

As far as Logic is concerned, his edrum brain isn't sending CC4 messages at all. His Mac is definitely getting the CC4 messages (per MIDI Monitor) but for some reason Logic isn't getting them, or at the very least isn't reporting them. I've verified with my setup that simply pumping the HH pedal will show CC4 messages in Logic, even w/o sending any actual notes. We have to first figure out why Logic doesn't see his CC4 messages before we can then figure out if his notes are correctly mapped.

Hey guys, thanks so much for putting lengthy energy into trying to solve this. I really, really do appreciate it.

I'm going to admit defeat, breakdown and purchase BFD2. At least I know it will work. Maybe with the next iteration of LPX something will be addressed but for now, I guess it's nose in another manual. At least I know there will be positive results this time :)

So, let us back out of this cul de sac and return to more adventurous music highways. See you around the forum.

Thanks again!

Hi

As far as Logic is concerned, his edrum brain isn't sending CC4 messages at all. His Mac is definitely getting the CC4 messages (per MIDI Monitor) but for some reason Logic isn't getting them, or at the very least isn't reporting them.

In that case, has the OP trashed the Control Surfaces preferences?

Quit Logic

Go to :Library:Preferences (use the Finder:Go menu whilst holding down Option to get there)

Drag com.apple.logic.pro.cs to the Trash

Restart Logic

If that does not do it, I guess that CC4 may have been assigned to a key command, or if it is project specific, the MIDI INput filter could be enabled.

CCT

Hi

As far as Logic is concerned, his edrum brain isn't sending CC4 messages at all. His Mac is definitely getting the CC4 messages (per MIDI Monitor) but for some reason Logic isn't getting them, or at the very least isn't reporting them.

In that case, has the OP trashed the Control Surfaces preferences?

Quit Logic

Go to :Library:Preferences (use the Finder:Go menu whilst holding down Option to get there)

Drag com.apple.logic.pro.cs to the Trash

Restart Logic

If that does not do it, I guess that CC4 may have been assigned to a key command, or if it is project specific, the MIDI INput filter could be enabled.

CCT

That's a good suggestion that's at least worth a shot.

Shawn, maybe try that just to see if it does anything.

In any case, there's nothing wrong with getting BFD b/c it's great software. Just know that it requires a bit more tweaking to get a "mixed" drum sound than many of the other VI's (including DKD) do. The good news is that you can still use a Drummer track to control BFD if you want to, so no loss of that functionality by going with BFD instead of DKD. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

I had the same problem as the OP and spent the last couple of hours working on it and think I've found a solution.

1)Go to your DM10 module - Utility - Trig(F3) - Change HiHat From "NOTE+CC#4" to "NOTE ONLY"

Load up Logic pro X & use DKD.

This works for me, let me know how you get on!

Jason.

• 2 years later...

I have the exact same issue with my DM10 running through Logic and DKD.

The only difference that I'm experiencing that might be a clue is that I'm getting a timbale sample that plays when I "splash" the hi-hat pedal. I can go into the mapped instrument and change the SCRAPULL note (F#0) to G0 (G0 should be the splash hihat sound).

It does change the sample to the "splash" sample, but it still has the timbale sample along with it. I can't figure out why the timbale sound is still being triggered. It's like the pedal is triggering two midi notes simultaneously at all times. I can't track down where this timbale sample is coming from...

According to MIDI Monitor, eventhough my DM10 brain says the MIDI input drum channel is set to channel 1, it still comes out on Channel 10. Not sure what that's about either.

It's not the biggest problem in the world because in the DM10 module, I can turn off the "HH SPlash" and then the weird timbale thing goes away. It just takes away the splash function completely. Things could be worse...

Would be nice to figure it out though.

• 3 years later...

Just wanted to answer this question for anyone who may ask it in the future. I am using a four tom, two crash, hi-hat, ride, snare and kick setup when it comes to pads. This is for Logic Pro X 10.4.8, I am running my midi via USB 1

The solution is simple. Connect your DM10 via midi. Create a software instrument track and select drum kit. Select any kit you like. Then select the instrument editor either from the library icon or the channel strip. The drum kit designer will appear. In the very bottom left of the window is an arrow icon (looks like the symbol for 'play'), click this button and it brings up advanced settings. The top selection is 'input mapping'. In that list select V-drum, this will cause your hi-hat to work. However, depending on your pad setup you may only have one tom across all pads and no secondary cymbal (if you have a full set up like myself). You will need to set your midi send in your drum module.

On your DM10 module select "inst" under the edit section. (if your DM10 is not set up to edit drum sets or is in factory default you can change this setting by reading the manual)

An option will appear on your DM10 screen with option to edit instrument or midi. Select midi.

This will display the piano key and midi signal each pad is assigned to. You can cycle through various pads using the wheel and arrow keys. Use these to reassign your midi signals/notes.

Here is the set up I have used and feel free to modify.

Kick1-036 C1

Kick2-035 B0

Snare Hd-038 D1

Snare Rim-040 E1

Tom1 Hd-048 C2

Tom1 Rim-050 D2

Tom 2 Hd 039 D#1

Tom2 Rim- 039 D#1

Tom 3 Hd-043 G1

Tom 3 Hd-043 G1

HiHat-046 A#1

Crash- 049 C#2

Ride-051 D#2 (this works with my dual zone ride)

Perc 2 Hd-105 A6 (this is my secondary crash pad and sets up crashed going from high to low in order of left to right)

Perc 2 Rim-061 C#3 (may not matter but worth a setting, I could be confused between hd and rim on this pad)

Perc 3 Hd-045 A1 (this sounds the same as low tom on a three tom set so I use it for ease of playing)

Perc 3 Rim-045 A1

You can save this all a new kit and it will keep the midi settings so you don't have to edit every time. I hope this was helpful.