Cycle locators not snapping to bars

urbanmuzak

Hey, everyone.

Just trying to do a new track in Logic Pro X. So I got all my audio recorded from my MPC into Logic, cleaned out the silent parts with Strip Silence and starting to mix. Usually I go through the song with 8/16 bars of cycle loops turned on, so I can work on bits of it. What is bugging me is that previously when you selected an area in the ruler to be the cycle region, the region was snapping to bars. Now I'm getting all sorts of irregular numbers (slightly off by 42-200 ticks). How do I make it snap to bars? I just want clean cut 8/16/24/32 bars and I can't seem to find anything that would do it. Tried all the different settings in the "Snap:" menu?

I've experienced this also, although I remember it happening in Logic 9 too. Sometimes, for some reason, I have a cycle that starts on 5 1 1 1 and ends on 9 1 1 1. I start dragging the 9 1 1 1 and I can't even come back to 9 1 1 1, it only gives me odd values such as 8 4 4 178 or 9 1 3 87.

The only workaround I've found to work is to turn off cycle mode if necessary, then turn it back on by dragging the cycle I want, for example from 5 1 1 1 to 13 1 1 1.

I was having the same problem but I found highlighting the region and then hitting the "c" for cycle and I believe it was the "U"which automatically selects the cycle size by the region selected. I have stopped dragging the cycle bar and it works very well.

Never had this in Logic 9. I usually select the cycle I need in the ruler by the mouse and it would always start on something sensible like a bar say 4 1 1 1 or if the zoom is really fine then beat or division, now it starts on some random tick value 3 4 4 138 and ends somewhere random as well. The only way of rounding it out I've found is to Shift+click on the nearest bar when I have "Bar + Absolute Value" selected in the snap options. Really annoying and messing with my workflow.

Selecting by region is not any better in the current case, because I don't really have regions which are the normal 8 bar lengths, since it's just a bunch of Audio Files with silent passages stripped out automatically, which makes for some odd beginnings and ends of regions.

While I'm at it I'm also finding some of the key modifier commands for dealing with zoom a bit unruly. They seem to act different depending on whether I am in Full Screen mode or not. grrrrr....

I've experienced this also, although I remember it happening in Logic 9 too. Sometimes, for some reason, I have a cycle that starts on 5 1 1 1 and ends on 9 1 1 1. I start dragging the 9 1 1 1 and I can't even come back to 9 1 1 1, it only gives me odd values such as 8 4 4 178 or 9 1 3 87.

The only workaround I've found to work is to turn off cycle mode if necessary, then turn it back on by dragging the cycle I want, for example from 5 1 1 1 to 13 1 1 1.

Just to clarify the issue I'm having is not with resizing the cycle region, but with creating a brand new one, it just won't start at the beginning of anything sensible like a bar or a beat or a division.

I will have to check that when I get back to the studio. Strangely enough, the issue does not appear when I create a new project on my laptop running LPX. I did trash the LPX preferences on my studio computer (but not the preferences for Logic 9). So it's either that or the project itself.

Then again I'm kind of confused why it would be the project, since I had to kill the original project file I used to record everything into, as it was causing LPX to hang, so I created a new project and imported all the tracks through the media browser in LPX, that solved the hanging problem, but the cycle thing remains.

• 1 year later...

2 years later, but I was having this same problem. Mainly happened when opening LP9 sessions in LPX. I figured out that going to File->Project Settings->General and unchecking "Use Musical Grid" seemed to do the trick. The Musical Grid setting was the first thing I checked when I had the issue, but since it was checked (like it always is since I don't work with video) I figured everything was fine in that area. Maybe the LP9->LPX conversion messes something up, but as soon as I unchecked it, the Cycle locators (and playhead) started snapping to the grid.

Also, just dug around on the forum and found that it's a known bug.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103433

• 6 years later...