Logic 9 and X - high CPU spikes (still not resolved)

rjsounds

Hello, Original Poster here... I still get this problem from time to time and I've basically just given up and gotten used to it happening. I sent a bug report to Apple twice now so hopefully they look into it at some point. Basically I think it's some flaw in the coding, and I think it has to do with the operating system because it happens in Logic 9 and X. I seem to get the CPU issue more often at night, and that's really all I can say. I wish I didn't upgrade. I wish I was still on 10.6.8 and running logic 9.

Hello, Original Poster here... I still get this problem from time to time and I've basically just given up and gotten used to it happening. I sent a bug report to Apple twice now so hopefully they look into it at some point. Basically I think it's some flaw in the coding, and I think it has to do with the operating system because it happens in Logic 9 and X. I seem to get the CPU issue more often at night, and that's really all I can say. I wish I didn't upgrade. I wish I was still on 10.6.8 and running logic 9.

It may be an iMac issue after all. I'm getting closer to the bottom of the mystery and will keep you up-to-date.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, this has been a torture that seemed to just randomly appear and disappear. Unfortunately I experienced the same thing in LP9 and LPX (Mavericks) as well. Going back and forth between LP9 and LPX didn't seem to make a difference.

BUT - earlier today I switched the I/O buffer size to 512 and that seemed to have done the trick - at least for now.

It's obviously impossible to record MIDI with this setting because of the delay, but for audio recording (no software monitoring! - use a split audio chain to record that has 0 delay to monitor the input signal) it worked great for me.

So give it a shot and play around with the I'O buffer settings for - at least temporary - CPU spike relief.

Please share your new found wisdom...

:)

I'm not making progress with my random cpu spikes. Anybody got better luck ... ???

Hello,

You don't have by any chance an Imac with fusion drive?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5428602?start=0&tstart=0

And:

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1074847&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1#1074847

One's clicks and pop's are not someone else's clicks and pop's...

Hugo

• 6 months later...

Hi there!

I think I might have a solution for you…

I had the same problem since upgrading from Snow Leopard. Huge, random spikes in Logic 9 for no reason.

Do you have your Airport/Wireless on? When I turned mine off, the problem went away immediately. Give it a go.

Hope this works for you.

All the best,

Matt.

I took another look at your system is that a quad i5?

Your system will always be CPU challenged with Logic, best strategy is to bounce or freeze tracks to conserve resources.

Even with my quad i7 MBP, at times I have to freeze a track that contains a CPU eating instrument, plus effects.

I always suggest at minimum a quad i7 Mac for audio and video production.

8)