David against the spambots!

David Nahmani

Hey everybody.

I have just modified the code on this forum to prevent spambots from polluting us. It seems to have worked so far: it's only been an hour or two and already a dozen attacks have been automatically fought back, and the bots have ended up turning away.

There is nothing more annoying than trying to fight bots. They get smarter and smarter every time, they can easily read all those visual confirmation pictures that we can barely read ourselves. However, it is quite satisfying when you find something that works.

Obviously, future robots will figure it out, and we'll have to fight again soon, as we already have in the past, but it seems we should be fine for a while.

Please, if you see any spam posted in any of our forums use the contact button at the bottom of this post to report it to me asap.

Edited by David Nahmani

Hey everybody.

I have just modified the code on this forum to prevent spambots from polluting us. It seems to have worked so far: it's only been an hour or two and already a dozen attacks have been automatically fought back, and the bots have ended up turning away

There is nothing more annoying than trying to fight bots. They get smarter and smarter every time, they can easily read all those visual confirmation pictures that we can barely read ourselves. However, it is quite satisfying when you find something that works.

Obviously, future robots will figure it out, and we'll have to fight again soon, as we already have in the past, but it seems we should be fine for a while.

Please, if you see any spam posted in any of our forums use the contact button at the bottom of this post to report it to me asap.

Thanks. Yes I think one way is to make a *custom* login sequence with an additional odd question, we did this over at the protonradio forums, and the spam attacks went down to zero (any ones were those spams who registered accounts before we put in this additional question at registration time). --Kent

Edited by Kent Sandvik

Haha.. thanks guys for the encouragements. Seems to be working so far! What's amazing is the amount of bots that try to attack the forum everyday. But as long as I detect them and reject them we'll be fine!

The problem is phpbb, it's the most common bb system out there,so the spam bots are tuned for the code, and they just scan for any kind of phpbb board they find. And a huge majority are vanilla installations with no protection for automatic registration... Hence any uniqueness in the login sequence will make the bot code confused.--Kent

Beware of the "Bot" named Bender. He usually associates with an individual that goes be the name of Fry.

If he asks you for any money don't trust him... oh wait...

We're talking about SPAM Bots!!!... Bender is actually a SCAM Bot

So, um.... ah.... Don't trust scam bots either!!!.... :D