recording vocals

I have to agree with Noyan about selecting a microphone first that's crafted with quality components. If you have a small budget to work with, there are some decent sounding budget mics from M-Audio, Shure, AKG and Rode.

As for preamps, if you can only afford a mic, you can use the Firebox's mic preamps with the 'phantom power' engaged. But in my own opinion, to get a great vocal recording, I would suggest getting a channel strip. The reason I mention this is, although a mic pre will provide a certain amount of gain to capture a wide frequency response (depending on the hardware and mic being used), it is often very helpful to have an 'all-in one' processor that includes a preamp, eq, a compressor and possibly a de-esser.

This allows you to make any tonal coloration or tone shaping at the tracking stage, or can be used in the post-production stage. You can get affordable units that still sound professional, such as the PreSonus Eureka, Focusrite Voicemaster Pro and many others. Please keep in mind that these are only suggestions. By no means am I trying to imply that to get good vocal recordings you have to spend a lot of money on a bunch of hardware.

In fact, although I have invested a fair amount of money for a few high-quality mics and hardware processors, I still use the inexpensive PreSonus BlueTube DP ($199) 2-channel tube preamp for some of my hardware synths, vocals, drum machines and sometimes guitar because I like the sound I can get from it.

Also, Logic has some great plug-ins that can help you shape the sound to your preference. My only other thought is to make sure when connecting your mic to a preamp, channel strip or simply your Firebox, use quality cables with XLR connectors. You may want to visit your local music retailer to audition any products before you decide on what to purchase. Good Luck!!

Peace - xpander

In response to q41-

That's all there is to it. Make sure that you have the phantom power switched OFF on your Firebox since your mic is already being powered by your preamp. I hope you find what you need at a price you can afford. Then have a great time recording. After you have recorded some vocal tracks, take some time to experiment with Logic's excellent set of effects processors to get a feel of how the dynamic plug-ins (eq, compression, limiting, ect.) can shape or enhance your recordings. I love playing around with vocal tracks, trying to find different techniques to achieve different sounds. Have a great time!!

Peace - xpander