Previewing .mid MIDI file with QuickLook not working

Hey unclue808us, thank for trying out that midipipe document.

I found the file that allows quicktime (and other programs) to play back MIDI files. It's /System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component.

I doubt that you don't have that file, but you could try reinstalling it by using pacifist and the 10.8.5 Combo Update.

However, since it definitely seems like it's Quicktime that's having trouble playing back MIDI through the CoreAudio.component, I'd would first try moving the Quicktime preference files to the desktop in case it's simply a corrupted preference file problem.

There's at least 2 preference files related to the Quicktime 7 player in Macintosh HD/Users/your username/Library/Preferences/ One is called "Quicktime Preferences" and the other "com.apple.quicktimeplayer.plist"

Make sure Quicktime is closed, move the files to the desktop, then reopen quicktime and see if you can play MIDI files. There's nothing to worry about with this procedure because fresh preference files will be generated upon opening the Quicktime 7 player, and you can always move the ones you put on the desktop back in your preferences folder.

I was testing other things, and the QuickLook "Audio.qlgenerator" does not affect QuickLook's ability to play MIDI files, only audio files.

J.

Is it safe to remove all these at once, I'm pretty sure it is. QuickTime is closed.

Once again thanks for sticking with me on this.

I can't promise you it will fix things, but please just move to the desktop the 2 files I mentioned above:

One is called "Quicktime Preferences" and the other "com.apple.quicktimeplayer.plist"

J.

No joy. :( I was in high hopes for that. I only removed the two you mentioned. :com.apple.quicktimeplayer.plist and QuickTime Preferences. Hummm. I don't want to be wasting your time on this. I can live without it. The thing is I think QuickTime is stopping me from monitoring another daw I use in realtime entry. At least that's what the creator said. "Harmony Assistant." Well thanks for all the help. I'm just not brave enough to mess with the command line stuff.

I uninstalled Flip4Mac. No luck there,

Crap!

Yes that was all there was in the Console after a search for "Quicktime" . AudioComponentPluginLoader: can't create bundle: tonespace.component -- file://localhost/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/

What is the tonespace.component ? if you know.

It's a plugin by Mucoder:

http://www.mucoder.net/en/tonespace/

J.

Well Thanks for all your help.

I was glad to get rid of Flip4Mac I don't think I needed it. I have:

Perian, the Swiss Army Knife for QuickTime, any OS X application that uses QuickTime can now use these additional media types:

• AVI, FLV, and MKV file formats

• MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivX, H.264, FLV1, FSV1, VP6, H263I, VP3, HuffYUV, FFVHuff, MPEG1 & MPEG2 Video, Fraps, Windows Media Audio v1 & v2, Flash ADPCM, Xiph Vorbis (in Matroska), MPEG Layer II Audio

• AVI support for: AAC, AC3 Audio, H.264, MPEG4, and VBR MP3

• Subtitle support for SSA and SRT

Perian, the Swiss Army Knife for QuickTime, any OS X application that uses QuickTime can now use these additional media types:

• AVI, FLV, and MKV file formats

• MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivX, H.264, FLV1, FSV1, VP6, H263I, VP3, HuffYUV, FFVHuff, MPEG1 & MPEG2 Video, Fraps, Windows Media Audio v1 & v2, Flash ADPCM, Xiph Vorbis (in Matroska), MPEG Layer II Audio

• AVI support for: AAC, AC3 Audio, H.264, MPEG4, and VBR MP3

• Subtitle support for SSA and SRT

I used to use Perian some years ago and I ended untinstalling it because some conflict with...I don't remember what :roll: ...besides, if you have VLC you don't need Perian. Furthermore, Perian's development stopped a while ago:

http://perian.org/

And here's something from that very web page:

We will soon release the final version of Perian, including all the fixes we've worked on since the last release. It may -- or may not -- work on 10.8

I don't like the sound of that. I'm not saying Perian is the cause of your troubles, but you don't really need it if you have VLC.

J.

There's also something that's called QTKit.Framework and its associated QTKitServer process that is related to both Quicktime and QuickLook. I think this might be where the problem is. I'll post back if I find anything that's worth trying.

Related to the above quote.... Do you use any utilities that "clean" the system? (Onyx, CleanMyMac, etc)?

Can you show me what you have here:

Macintosh HD/System/Library/Caches/

J.

Spotlight says I do have VLC> /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/VLC Plugin.plugin/

"Do you use any utilities that "clean" the system? (Onyx, CleanMyMac, etc)?"

No nothing like that, Like I said I'm shy about messing with my Mac. and from what I've read about that type of software is it's better if you know what you are doing.

"Do you use any utilities that "clean" the system? (Onyx, CleanMyMac, etc)?"

No nothing like that, Like I said I'm shy about messing with my Mac. and from what I've read about that type of software is it's better if you know what you are doing.

Good, can you still post a pic of what you have in Macintosh HD/System/Library/Caches/?

Spotlight says I do have VLC> /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/VLC Plugin.plugin/

That's just the web browser plugin for playing media files, there's also VLC, the app.

J.

There's also something that's called QTKit.Framework and its associated QTKitServer process that is related to both Quicktime and QuickLook. I think this might be where the problem is. I'll post back if I find anything that's worth trying.

Related to the above quote.... Do you use any utilities that "clean" the system? (Onyx, CleanMyMac, etc)?

Can you show me what you have here:

Macintosh HD/System/Library/Caches/

J.

675973798_ScreenShot2013-10-22at11_57_01AM.thumb.jpg.c999f7dc768e604c54a8179171458d4b.jpg

Well, guess what? OS 10.9 KILLED MIDI file previewing in Quick Look for me too! :evil: :lol:

Here's what Console tells me:

jordito:~ jordito$ qlmanage -p /Volumes/Data/jordito/Desktop/Lead.mid

Testing Quick Look preview with files:

/Volumes/Data/jordito/Desktop/Lead.mid

2013-10-23 00:36:32.389 qlmanage[680:507] *** CFMessagePort: bootstrap_register(): failed 1100 (0x44c) 'Permission denied', port = 0x9a23, name = 'com.apple.tsm.portname'

See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.

2013-10-23 00:36:32.393 qlmanage[680:507] *** CFMessagePort: bootstrap_register(): failed 1100 (0x44c) 'Permission denied', port = 0x9d33, name = 'com.apple.CFPasteboardClient'

See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.

2013-10-23 00:36:32.393 qlmanage[680:507] Failed to allocate communication port for com.apple.CFPasteboardClient; this is likely due to sandbox restrictions

These cheap (free) OS's, I'm telling you!

J.

Well I am now using Mavericks on both my MacBooks at home and in the home studio. No problems except for the glimpses of beach ball in a lot of apps. Logic 9 no problems so far no midi file play back still in Quicktime or quick look.

Unbelievable ! I'm not going to Mavrick yet. It seems to me like some kind of Power over the user greed play too much of a move like windows would make. I miss Steve Jobs. I fear greed and power is eating at the Apple,

Edited by uncle808us

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, so forgive my slight lack of technical depth, but I think I am reading (after all the posts) that:

1. Quick Look preview doesn't work on Mavericks for any of us

2. Nobody knows why

3. Nobody knows how to fix it.

Can someone call Cupertino and ask them to put it in their next patch?

:)