Side Chain Compression

DrewMusic007

Bascially I'm doing guitar based rock - and I have trouble with competing guitar tracks, I pan the rhythm almost hard left and my leads almost hard right but I'm still not getting the lead to jump out - I almost want to duck the rhythm so my lead playing jumps in and out. Also I use a lot of dynamics in my playing - from really bluesy with a light touch (neck position strat) to cutting leads (bridge position Tele)

So I was hoping that setting the compressor to read my leads to slightly push back the rhythm guitar which in itself is a little intricate so I still want it pronounced in the mix.

Confused?

Thanks as always David - :)

You may need to rethink how you mix. Its about separating the frequency of each instrument. Individually, each instrument may sound fantastic, but get rather muddled when they are all mixed together and fighting for the same frequency bands.

You may find it useful to cut the level on the low end of your lead guitar to bring it out some.

You can try a google search on Mixing Lead Guitar and similar topics for some ideas on this subject.

I agree with shiver, that doesn't sound like the right approach to take. Try eq-ing, and also try getting two different rythm tracks panned L and R and keep the lead in the middle.

If you do want to experiment with "ducking", then place the compressor on the rythm guitar track and select the lead track in the sidechain parameter.