Using Automation or MIDI to recall saved Plug-In Preset

BobOstertag

Are you wanting to morph between different patches in a track?

I haven't found a way that is easier than making a note of every controller setting in one patch & then automating each control to that setting from the previous one over the length of time I want the change to take place.

I don't think you can recall them with something as simple as a midi program change on a hardware synth.

Basically you could use 'channel strip performances' for this as described in 'New Features in Logic Pro 7.2' page 35. Problem is that the feature is designed for program changes being sent from an *external* controller, ie. simply putting a program change on a track won't work. So you need to simulate the external controller by sending program change from the track back to Logic's input. This can be done with the IAC bus. Just be careful to avoid a MIDI feedback loop, ie. make sure that the sending track is *not* rec-enabled.

Correction:

Actually the problem of a MIDI feedback loop does NOT exist with this configuration, because the specific messages which are sent back to the input (ie. program changes on channel 1) are catched on input and not passed to the sequencer, due to the 'channel strip performance' feature.

Thank you Fred and Justin. Yes, this is what I am trying to do. I continue to be amazed how, with all the admitedly extraordinary features in Logic, some very simple things like recalling a DSP preset, a feature that is built-in and easily availale on any digital mixing desk, requires the crazy work-around that Fred describes.

So I see that rather than recalling a preset, it makes more sense to just change every single setting in the plug-in via track automation.

That leads me to another question: is there a way to get a plug-in to send all of its parameters in one burst to the track's automation?

If this were possible, instead of recalling a plug-in preset via a program change command, you could recall the preset manually, then send a burst of all its parameter values to the track's automation.

Does anyone know if this is possible?