M-Audio Firewire 410 popping, crackling on rec and playback

DJEpoch

Hello,

I've read a lot about this problem on the internet, but I don't beleive any of the solutions on the internet apply to me. I should mention the fact that this problem just appeared last night, and that after restarting my computer the crackling went away. However, I have a feeling this may not be the last time I encounter it. I'm running Logic Pro 7 on a PowerBook G4 with 1.33 GHz processing speed and 1.25 GB of RAM. Anway, the problem was that I would hear the crackling on playback, and when I isolated certain tracks, I realized the crackling was appearing in the recording on certain tracks. I tried different cables, different instruments, different inputs, etc. and in every case there was popping and crackling. I also realized that you cannot hotplug with the 410 which I had done a few times. I'm now very careful about that, but I'm wondering if the crackling sounds could be caused by a damaged firewire port. Anyway, no one on the internet seemed to have a good solution. Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks,

What is your I/O buffer setting? Remember that for playback or mixing you should up the buffer, especially on a G4 laptop. I used to have a 410 and there was always something with it. Another thing you should remember is that the 410 doesn't like to share the Firewire bus, so if you're using external hard drives make sure to daisy chain them to the 410.