Old Logic project won't open previous versions of plugins

nickweston

Trying to work with an old Logic project, created in Logic 8.

It shows Absynth 3, FM7, Trilogy and Battery 2 as not available. I'm running the latest versions of these plugins.

What gets me is that for instance why doesn't Absynth 5 open the patch? Of FM7 for that matter? I'm kinda boned here other than punching through hundreds of patches hoping to get lucky. What a goofy flaw. Shoulda logged patch names onto tracks, as I do now.

SO-

Does anyone out there have functioning versions of Absynth 3, NI FM7, Trilogy or Battery 2? My hope is that I could send a project, somebody could open it, and tell me what the patch names are.

Shooting in the dark here...

Thanks much

CJ

PS Name your tracks with patch names!

Absynth 3, Battery 2 and FM7 are separate and distinct plugins from later versions and are no longer compatible with Logic 9+. I don't have Trilogy, so I can't comment on that with any authority, but I assume pretty much the same holds true.

However you should be able to load in whatever presets those earlier versions used in that project into later versions of the NI plugins. The very latest update of FM8 (1.3.0) finally fixes an old bug and can now load FM7 patches again.

So if you have the later, compatible versions, replace the older ones with the newer ones in the project and load the old presets.

I've done this many times, particularly replacing Absynth 3 with Absynth 5. The only problem is searching through loads of Absynth 3 libraries to find which ones contain the old presets. Once found they are easy to convert to the newer patch format and load into Absynth 5. FM7 and Battery presets are a lot easier to load into the latest versions.

I think you'll find the info you need in the project file itself.

Control-click the project file and choose "Show Package Contents". Locate the "documentData" file inside the "LgDoc" folder and open it with TextEdit.

I tested this with a Logic 8 project that had Absynth5, FM8 and Battery 3 in it. I was able to find the patch names for the first two (no luck with Battery). Hopefully things were not different with those older versions and you'll be able to get some of the patch names this way too.

Use Command-F and look for the plug-in names ("FM7", "Absynth3", etc):

1546107156_ScreenShot2013-11-21at11_03_06.png.890f77649ce29ecb4677d6b90ceb6168.png

1489987139_ScreenShot2013-11-21at11_08_11.png.0dfd2890a26a93c2cd5803b140ea315d.png

You can also search for "":

1887852984_ScreenShot2013-11-21at11_12_56.png.dbdc45de6c474c8d6d22604ed0c65789.png

Good luck!

J.