In the piano roll see mulitple tracks, edit one

Thorny

As much as I like Logic Pro X I have been very disappointed in the loss of the ability to edit a single track in the piano roll while I have all tracks visible. In 9 I was able to highlight all tracks so that I could see 4 parts in the piano roll, for example, then option click on one track and then command click using the pencil tool to add notes to that track using the proper instrument. In Logic Pro X everything works the same, except the pencil tool always add notes to the track that I start on when I shift click to make them all visible. I see the instrument that I option click on at the top identified correctly in the channel strip on the left, but that is not the instrument used when I edit. I hope that makes sense.

After I got the first version of X, I called Apple to ask about this and they confirmed that it was a different behavior in X than in 9. What they couldn't confirm was whether Apple folks considered that a bug or a "feature". They promised to call me back but never did. Now I have to get the track that I want to work on in focus, then contol click and choose "create note" from the menu that drops down to get a note of the right kind. It does slow editing down.

When I just tried the new update, 450 fixes later, it still doesn't work. Is there any better way to do what I want, now that it seems pretty clear that they are not going to fix it to work the way it did in 9?

This is one of those important feautures (or non-features) that LPX lacks.

I wish Apple could take an example of Cubase's Piano Roll Editor, in which you can see all selected midi regions at once and you can very easily choose which from those regions you want to edit while keeping the other regions visible in the Pianoroll, or edit them all at once; superb and easy.

Thank you for your reply.

I really just want 1 Piano Roll open for viewing multiple midi regions and editing just one of them.

Wouldn't it be so cool to make 1 midi region with just notes belonging to a certain key and scale.

And then overlap this region with another, so you can draw in notes in this upper region while having a reference to the scale they must be in, as seen in the underlying region.

In Cubase this is possible for such along time ..

• 1 month later...

I've just submitted a post about a similar problem:

I select multiple MIDI regions in the main window, and drag notes around in the piano roll > the edited notes get moved from one MIDI region to the other.

Say I highlight my strings sections all at once and try to edit notes from 5 different MIDI regions in the piano roll. I'll end up with notes from the violas region moved to the cellos one, for instance.

It's the first time I see Logic behave that way. Moving a MIDI note behaves like a random "cmd x" / "cmd v" from a region to an other...

Thank you for your reply.

I really just want 1 Piano Roll open for viewing multiple midi regions and editing just one of them.

Wouldn't it be so cool to make 1 midi region with just notes belonging to a certain key and scale.

And then overlap this region with another, so you can draw in notes in this upper region while having a reference to the scale they must be in, as seen in the underlying region.

In Cubase this is possible for such along time ..

Indeed it would.

• 3 months later...
Does anything in 10.0.7 help with this problem?

No. This area of Logic is just a random bug ridden jumble. What has been described from Cubase is how it should work and other DAWs handle this properly as well. Apple are too busy giving Logic 24 core support that nobody needs.

They did fix the broken scissor tool though which is one bug knocked of the huge list I'm making.

• 8 months later...

Not sure if this was working in the previous versions, but now in 10.1, I can,

- With 'View>Selected Regions' turned on in the MIDI editor

- Select a group of regions across multiple tracks

Sort, to view by region colour and edit the notes of each region individually without leaving the editor.

Double click on the note and you can edit that region briefly. Double click on the background after you're done and it takes you back to the all region selection view. You can't edit a region while viewing in context to other regions though. Is that what everyone's complaining about?

You can't edit a region while viewing in context to other regions though. Is that what everyone's complaining about?

You can resize, move, delete notes in context of other regions, you just can't create new notes. It's weird, I just tried it with 3 regions and was able to create notes in 2 regions (by option-clicking their track first) but not the 3rd one.