Setting RME FF800 Recording Delay in Logic Pro

Did you know that you can internally loop back signals from the outputs to the inputs?Just control-click the output names you want to loop in the bottom row of the mixer so that they turn red.Then,select the corresponding hardware inputs as your record source in Logic.Record arm the tracks in Logic,and your done.From page 75 of the Fireface 800 manual:

the best way to do this is to control click the out 1-2 at the bottom of total mix until the indictor turns red.

this will do the loop back with out you have to recable.

i will attach my lso that i used with my RME FF800.

what you want to do is what i said to do in total mix and also is on page 75. the logic song already has the tracks setup for you. just record. after recording you will want to turn down out 1-2 in logic to -6.0, and add to track two a stereo gain and a sample delay. also make sure that you enable output on track two, and set it to out 1-2.

reverse phase on track two with gain and then start moving the sample delay slider to you here the tracks cancel. it is really simple. took me a long time to figure out.

but thanks to RME support they helped me understand.

Recording Delay.zip

RME FF800 recording delay setup

This is a project folder that I used to set my Delay.

I did that and got 75 samples.

I first put the pugins on the original track but that didn't work. Then I zoomed it and realized that the 2nd track. The one I recorded was before the original. So I put the plugs on that and got 75 samples.

This can't be right. How can something that I recorded be before the original. It must have something to do with plugin delay compensation. I'll try some tests.

Any thoughts.

Tried this again. With PDC shut off. Same results. The recorded track is before the orignial track.

I tried a bunch of things. CAn't get it to work. The recorded track is alway sooner in time than the original.

I didn't think that was possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

that is what my delay is as well. 75.

i think that the device does some sort of lookahead (not the correct termanology). i am sure that the device/converters can speed the audio to be before.

If you set it and continue your sessions you will see that this works out just fine.

my suggestion, and I did not question it so i did not pursue. is to email support if you have quires for RME

here is a post from apple discussions.

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=4165337

someone there mentions how the device is sending audio before the original. i think this is very common among RME Devices. at least all of the people i know who own them have the same thing.

what you are setting in logic is the delay of the converters not the actual speed of the audio. you want logic to compensate for you hardware. this is what the loopback test is for. you are never going to have continuous, replicable delay from external devices, but you are going to have ontinuous replicable delay from your i/o.

this is my understanding as you can see as the very last post from Apple Discussion.

• 1 month later...

I am at +75 as well; and just a note the buffer size doesn't make a difference as I tested to be sure and as your link points out.

Keep in mind though that this is the setting if you have loopback turned on in the Fireface Mixer. If you are playing out

"in the mouth of two or three awitnesses every word may be established"

:lol: Matthew 18:16

Also do note that if you have your "Recording Delay" set at +75 for the FF and you are using the analog converters they will be delayed 75 samples. Meaning the recorded track will be 75 samples after the output track as is expected. This does not apply to both the ADAT and the SPDIF outs (you want it to be set at +75).

Maybe RME's thinking is they are trying to compensate for the D/A conversion of the receiving device so it will be closer in sync with their analog outs...maybe, maybe not? :?

• 11 months later...

I'm having a problem with my FF800 also.

I record a gtr track, and the audio moves around a little bit. there never record on the same place. mind you the gtr player plays on time.

or if I'm bouncing some drum beats that I programed on ultrabeat. they never line up on the 1.

is this what you guys are talking about?