How can I accomplish this in Logic Pro X?

gkillmaster

o lord. this is amazing. In preparing my file I've discovered what the deal is. I'm was using a QuNexus to test out what you told me and it didn't work. It does however work with my Korg M1 and I think I've discovered why. The QuNexus has this thing called channel rotation which is used to allow for polyphonic aftertouch. So even though the midi channel was set to a specific number, the more notes I played simultaneously would trigger the Qunexus to shift the midi channel up and down. Arg, Just noticed this when I went to confirm through MIDI monitor that the correct midi output channel was being sent... This is something good to be aware of with the QuNexus I guess...

anyways, s'all good I think once and for all! you were right. Exactly like you said. I must set the midi channel in the Aux channels, and select and record enable the tracks to summarize...

Finally this thread can die! :)

• 3 weeks later...
That was why I suggested Track Stacks.

Instead of trying to select 2 tracks you can have them already layered in a stack assigned to a MIDI channel.

So lets say you have a piano (CH1) and a bass track (CH2).

You duplicate these tracks and crate a stack assigned to channel 3.

But if the summing track is selected, it will receive midi data on any channel (as per selected track behavior) and therefore wouldn't the summed stack still respond to midi info even if you switch the controller to channel 1, unless you unselect the summed stack (which could be problematic if you want to (or accidentally) interact with the mixer at all while playing?

That was why I suggested Track Stacks.

Instead of trying to select 2 tracks you can have them already layered in a stack assigned to a MIDI channel.

So lets say you have a piano (CH1) and a bass track (CH2).

You duplicate these tracks and crate a stack assigned to channel 3.

But if the summing track is selected, it will receive midi data on any channel (as per selected track behavior) and therefore wouldn't the summed stack still respond to midi info even if you switch the controller to channel 1, unless you unselect the summed stack (which could be problematic if you want to (or accidentally) interact with the mixer at all while playing?

No. You can choose a channel for the summing track.

In my case any channel that is selected (whether an instrument track or a summing track) is responding to midi data sent on 'any' channel regardless of what channel the track is set to. It works fine until a track is selected then the selected track responds to midi from both controllers (one sending on channel 1 and the other sending on channel 10). It appears to either be a selected track feature or bug.

Another test result is that I can set a track to channel 1 and then cycle through all channels on my axiom (sending ch. 1 then ch. 2, and so on) and if (and only if) the track is selected it will respond to the notes played on the Axiom on all channels 1-16 instead of just channel 1, as it does when the track is not selected.

I'm starting to think the only work around is to keep hands off mixer while recording on midi instrument tracks.