Old G4 Laptop - what good is it?

AllyMusicGirl

Hey! :D

I have a 733 MHz G4 Laptop w/ 1 Gig of RAM - and I'm not really using it for anything beside a paper weight these days.

It's a great machine and I'm keeping it around so I can boot into OS9 and access old Cubase files if need be - but I do have Panther installed and it runs Reason 3.0.5 really well.

So I was wondering based on my set-up listed in my signature what would you guys and gals do with this given my set-up?

I hate for it to go to waste! :cry:

15402pn.gif.4299997a1f6f33b87943e40494ede633.gif

Shiver.... nice reply. Thanks for the web address on the info for pooling processors together. Any chance you would entertain my question, or is my question more of a polling type thing: Who of you (or how many if any) still use emagic's Logic Pro 6? Is there any forums where people exchange ideas on that platform, or is Apple's Logic 7x the only platform people in this forum use?

-Thanks, Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I think Joe answered you in your other post, but I am at 7.2.3 and I won't go backwards. I have version 6 still on the computer and I launched it a few months back. I closed it back down and open 7 back up.

I have seen many 6.x users on this forum, but I don't know how often they frequent this site.

So as not to hijack Ally's thread, I will answer your original thread on that post.

Use it as a Node machine. It will be happy that it is still useful. :wink:

She can't. She's using Logic Express (you need Pro), and the usefulness of a 733 MHz G4 with no gigabit as a node for a Core 2 Duo is of questionable value anyways.

We're back to emails in bed.

Edited by nebula

Shiver.... nice reply. Thanks for the web address on the info for pooling processors together. Any chance you would entertain my question, or is my question more of a polling type thing: Who of you (or how many if any) still use emagic's Logic Pro 6? Is there any forums where people exchange ideas on that platform, or is Apple's Logic 7x the only platform people in this forum use?

I still use Logic 6 on my G3/500 MHz iBook for playing live. If only I had something a bit more powerful ... ;)

When I upgraded to Pro 7 I was really worried I'd be back and forth. Despite what anybody says, 7 is a HUGE improvement over 6 in almost every way, even though there's not a lot of truly new stuff. Lots of subtle little improvements, particularly in UI, that make things flow better (except zooming, but I just got a Mackie Control so I can forigive Apple for botching up the good ol' telescope tools.

But most ideas and concepts pertaining to version 6 also apply to version 7 and vice versa.

BLAH BLAH BLAH - just wondering, how much more do I need to write before this thread is officially hijacked?

Hey Shiver, what country's site are you on? I just checked US and it's $299/ 999, while Canada is $349/1299.

Or did you just discover one of those weird Apple site glitches that tips people off to a big change underfoot?

Your G4 laptop can be put to great use...

Use it like any external hardware/ synth. Your using Panther, but if your on Tiger you can use the built-in networking midi routing. But anyway...route midi out of Logic (external instrument au), thru your soundcard / midi controller into another one, into your G4 lappy and into Reason. Mix 2 lappys output together in your mixer. Bounce your Reason files down when ready and import back into Logic for final mixing/ reediting/ et al.

I do this using Reason on an old G3 500mhz. Works great, and can spark creativity processing files/ sounds in a different manner/ system.