Intel vs G5

hello, i have been looking for some comparison between the powermac g5 (like 2,5 or 2,7 ghz latest models) vs Mac Pro without success Is there some significiant difference in power using Logic 7 on these machines for better (or worse). what is your experience?

Thorkell

performance is generally anywhere from slightly better to wayyyyyy better on the Mac Pro.

The nice thing about going Mac Pro is that in a couple years you will be able to pretty easily upgrade the processors with off-the-shelf dual or quad-core Xeons, should you have a need. Unfortunately a Power Mac G5 will not likely ever have a processor upgrade path.

I think the old PPC architecture actually multitasks better - whether that's software, hardware, or lack of optimization on intel, I don't know . . . but apart from that, pragmatic and inelegant as it was/is, the move to intel has given us laptops which perform as well as the old G5 desktops, and a Mac Pro which is quiet, expandable, upgradeable and, as the prevous poster said, anything from somewhat faster to waaaaaay faster. . . .

The only downside is tht some plug-ins have not yet made it to UB and some may never. . . .

The only downside is tht some plug-ins have not yet made it to UB and some may never. . . .

Sad, but true. If I had to make a choice today though, I would go Mac Pro hands down. In a few years there will be lots of software that will run on Intel that will never be ported back to PPC.

Most 3rd party plug-ins are UB now, although notably Spectrasonics is having problems keeping up with the Intel move (Atmosphere/Trilogy!).

I've just upgraded from PPC G5 2.5 ( the water cooled one...) to a Quad 3GHZ Mac pro re-furb, huge increase in power, I've almost forgotten what the 'freeze' button is for! :D

thanks for the reply, i suppose i should go for the mac pro instead of buying an old g5, despite the price.

For me it would depend on the price difference. If you look at te last pages of this thread:

http://logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=5034

. . . we did some comparing of the G5 Quad and the Intel Quad. Results were quite close with Logic. So far nothing I've seen has tempted me to make a move to any of the Mac Pros.

Be aware that there are a considerable number of bugs, particularly troublesome for those of us who work to picture and need to do a lot of tempo changes, on the Intel Macs that do not exist on the PPC machines.

While I lust after the power of the Inel Macs sadly I simply cannot recommend them at this time to anyone who works with picture. If you do not then the trade-offs will probably be acceptable to you.

Ashermusic : can you be more specific about these bugs?

1. Creating tempo ramps in the Tempo Operations is broken.

2. If you have as Tempo List and you try to type in a Smpte time into one of them it goes cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs, turns to 88000 or something and then everything goes to zero.

3. Exporting Audio to Movie is broken.

4, People are also having some issues with the score editor on the Intel Macs.

There are more but these come to mind right away.

Thanks Jay!

Yep, the Export to movie IS broken, bloody annoying, I'm farting around in Quicktime or Soundtrack Pro when I need to demo music to picture now!

I did a quick test with Tempo changes using global tracks which seemed OK, including ramps, will try same with tempo operations!

Best

D

performance is generally anywhere from slightly better to wayyyyyy better on the Mac Pro.

The nice thing about going Mac Pro is that in a couple years you will be able to pretty easily upgrade the processors with off-the-shelf dual or quad-core Xeons, should you have a need. Unfortunately a Power Mac G5 will not likely ever have a processor upgrade path.

Has anyone actually seen the System boards on these yet? I am reading web reports that the processors are soldered into the System board just like the Macbook and Macbook Pro's are.

These guys seemed to do a swap out OK....

http://www.hardmac.com/articles/72/

Cool thanks thedomus. I am buying a Macpro in the next year but not being able to upgrade the processor would have been a deal breaker. I was so disappointed when I saw my intel processor was soldered to my Main System board in my macbook pro, I have updated both my previous power books.

That information really was helpful!