WHAT THE FRUIT ?

Ok...this is starting to scare the hell out of me...can someone tell me why I'm hearing some of the hottest hip hop beats I've EVER heard being produced by people using nothing more than FRUITY LOOPS? I mean are they using like Apple Loops now or is this stuff actually being "programmed" as we say. My first guess...no effen way! I mean...this stuff sounds really really good....what the fruit is going on here ? ? ? what did i miss? 10 years of product development or a bunch of bundled loops that make a celebrity overnight?

Like.. which beats?

But really, that wouldn't surprise me. I mean, my jaw fell to the floor when I heard Fear Factory's remanufacture. The most moden, crazy metal trance techno shred speed metal digital .. whatever album I'd ever heard. This was like... what music will sound like in 2107. And to wonder what kind of gear they could have used to do all that crazy editing and programming.. untill I read an interview: they used an old Atari computer with an old version of cubase triggering some old S900 or something.

Manufacturers are lying to us: no, it's not the next crazy plug-in or synth or zero-latency interface or whatnot that's going to make us write better. It's just better ideas. Or more work. Or better organization... I mean really at the end of the day....who cares how it was done, as long as its good right? It's true of sausage, and it's true of music.

this much is true Obi Wan....this much is true...I just wondered if Fruity has actually started including actual "loops" or if these people are actually "writing" the music, because if they are...I'm like really impressed. And the stuff you're talking about...wow, reminds me of when BT said..and was in this room with all these machines...printers, faxes, copiers...and it made such beautiful music! I mean...wow...how's that for enlightenment, I swear...one day I'm going to get a Microtrack and go nuts...come to think of it, the best stuff I've ever heard doesn't conform to any rules whatsoever..hello...Trent? Fear Factory? Timbaland? Kid Beyond? BT ? I'm sure you all could add like a MILLION more but that just goes to show...if you break out of all that crap...like the timeline...you stop doing math and begin doing music! There are NO absolute rules! NO boundaries! Speaking of that...where can I find out how to master beatmapping? anyone?

and David, I'm just speaking of these kids...like YOUNG kids 17 or 18 putting together stuff that immeadiately made me say...uh...who made this? given it was just an eight bar loop, but then again...most of hip hop is..just an 8 bar loop anyhow...but just the quality of the sounds, it was like they took an MPC and dumped it into fruity loops....unless they are just that....please don't tell me they packed FLS with like the usual 4 gigs of loops that you can probably get from anyone on the street with a PC ?

• 4 weeks later...

Ha ha ha - yeah I was kind of pissed when I stumbled onto the loops I found in logic pro. Same thing with PLANET PHAT which was made in the late 90's where lazy "producers" could make beats.

9th Wonder makes beats on Fruity Loops but at least that guy digs in the crates for some obscure vinyl. It's all about technique. Just like most of you said on here. It boils down to whether you got it or you don't.

Its funny when you spend all this time becoming familiar with the creative process, software, production etc and then some (kid?) friend etc shows you their garage band song which sounds great but you have to bite your tongue about the use of presets, off-the-shelf loops etc.

Still I think someone said it best here during a compression discussion - "if it sounds good do it!"

Some of us however, really like the control of all aspects of an audio work. I personally want control over every note, every sound and every beat. I don't like being at the mercy of a loop where I cant remove a hit in the wrong place. Ultimately its this control that allows a producer to create stuff beyond the creative constraints of the presets.. even if the first step is to figure out how to emulate them without using them!

I was teaching a class of highschool kids last summer where on the last day that any one could contribute anything, in the last 10 minutes of class this kid wanted to make a tune... they were all working with Garageband. I told him he had 10 minutes and he did it - whipped up a cool little bit of electronica that made it on to the class CD. His limitation wasn't Garage band. It was those 10 minutes that fired him up.