Got Logic; Is it worth buying Ableton Live as well?

albertlopez

I've been told by many people Ableton Live is the truth - especially when it comes to the fun factor and workflow. Does anyone know how well Live works with Logic?

Also heard some crazy rumors flying around (on macrumors.com) that the new Logic/Garageband Pro is going to have a similar design and interface to Live: does anyone know if this is true? (if it was, there would be no point of investing in Live!)

I've been told by many people Ableton Live is the truth - especially when it comes to the fun factor and workflow. Does anyone know how well Live works with Logic?

Also heard some crazy rumors flying around (on macrumors.com) that the new Logic/Garageband Pro is going to have a similar design and interface to Live: does anyone know if this is true? (if it was, there would be no point of investing in Live!)

You can D/L a demo version of 'Live' if you haven't already worked with it. The demo won't let you rewire or save anything, but it will let you see what you can do.

What are you planning on using Live for? Are you a DJ? Will you be performing Live? Some artist use live because of what it can do 'on the fly'

I can't speak for the new Logic because I use a pre-Apple version.

But, I have a light version of Ableton Live that came bundled with my audio card, and I love it because without a lot of thought or figuring you can pretty much begin to create music right away, just improvising and experimenting by dragging and dropping loops and sounds.

If that appeals to you at all, I'd recommend checking out a free demo.

Also, I use Ableton to automatically timestretch stuff and then I drag and drop it back into Logic.

I've been tempted to buy the full version, but for my needs and the hap-hazard nature of my recording, the Lite version seems to do the trick. And, I've only used a small fraction of the program's features.

Hope you get some opinions from some serious Ableton users who can speak to the feautres in the full version and how they use it with Logic Pro. I'd like to hear what they have to say too.

Bye for now,

I must admit that I use Live a whole lot! It is not that Logic can't handle what Live does, rather it is a preference when I have a quick idea that I want to lay down .... Live is a great sketch pad for me (IMHO). In one take I can usually capture the feel of a rif, or drum idea with no problem. And then build on that tune in Logic later on.

So I would say: yes! Ableton Live is worth the dollar .... again - opinions are like rear ends .... "everybody has one ... and they all stink!" With the exception of mine ... it smells like roses! :lol:

I also use Live as 'sketch pad' for new ideas or to play around with sounds I made with Logic. Sometimes I start with Logic and finish in Live, sometimes the other way around. I would say it worth the money! Live and Logic are a good pair.

Try the demo Live and don't forget t checkout Operator with clip automation :lol:

i agree with most of what's been said, with the exception of "ableton shmableton" (ha!)

i use Live 6 and Logic 7, about 50-50. i wish they were one program- that would be worth about 2 grand, in my opinion. Live doesn't have as many great instruments as Logic, but it is fun, easy to use, and has some great effects (beat repeat, for example). i think they're just very different, but both great at the same time.

I use Logic to do "serious production" and Live to perform and throw stuff together. sometimes i produce in Live using stuff i made in Logic, sometimes the other way 'round.

if i was you, i'd get a free trial copy of Live, and see how much i could do without putting down any cash. i mean, if you can make it do what you want without paying- you're happy-- if you end up liking it a lot and want the full version, get it, and you're even MORE happy.

You can rewire the demo version into Logic and this way record Live's output. Recording the output as a file is also enabled in the demo version (set in routing to resample). Only bounce and save are for the paid version. The programmers at Ableton know how adictive the program is, you'll want to save your sessions after a few times :lol:

Thanks for the all the advice guys, just been playing around with the demo for a while.

This is what I think of Live:

Interface - really well thought out and the graphics look more Apple than Logic! 10/10

Virtual Instruments - not impressed at all (although the retail version comes with a few gigs of basic sounds) 3/10

Audio Editing/Loops - I love how easy it is to chop up a loop and place the audio parts into Impulse. Automation is a breeze. 10/10

Plugins - The sound is questionable to say the least- it doesn't have that professional sound quality of Logic. The EQ is ok, but the reverb and compressor don't really do much for me, especially compared with the multiband compressor and platinum reverb in Logic.

6/10

Well I think it definitely has a lot of potential - if they can sort out the plug-ins and virtual instruments - but I am giving it a pass.

I purchased Live to DJ with, and frankly I'm a little dissapointed.

To much clicking. You always have to touch the mouse. I would rather have spent the money and got two CD decks and a tight mixer.

Live does have the sickest (and simple) audio stretching capabilities in the world. Warp Markers rule.

I really don't ever use live for production. Logic is so gangsta.

I wouldn't recommend it for DJ. I would recommend it for audio stretching.

my 2 cents

fries

Have you considered a Midi controller Fries?

Watch someone like kid beyond using live...you don't need the mouse if you plan ahead...

and a simple arrangement would be a trigger finger or padkontrol with 16 clips set.

or 12 clips in a 3x4 grid and 4 scenes. if you use the pad controllers banks you can get much more.

I have a Mk-449C MIDI Keyboard and controller, also a MPD16. I do use the MK-449C to control Live.

I've got MIDI mapped to Live's crossfader, track's linear faders, eq cuts and others.

But I think their is to much hassle involved with:

Dragging clips in to and out of the clip view. Browsing for clips

Having to click a track to see it's waveform display.

Shift+Tab all the time.

Maybe I'm just not that experienced with live to be "good at it" yet. Perhaps, it's laziness. DJ performance with Live doesn't come easy to me. I will definitely watch some kidbeyond youtube vidz. I've seen some before, doesn't he use a pedal board controller? Haven't seen him DJ with live yet though...

peace + thanx!

Live! is the bomb. I use it write, not DJ, but it makes a great master with Reason rewired underneath for live work, as matching live tempos with Live! is a snap.

As far as writing goes, setting up songs by section in live and then being able to trigger multiple loops at once via midi, making experimenting easy.

A great feature in Live! is the ability to play in your rewired application and record it into live, trim it up, and add it to the playback without ever stopping the transport. You can even quantize the record cycle so that it records measure accurate samples.

My major use of Live! is laying down drum tracks. I don't do recordings for sale, just demoing of writing, so I'm not very religious when it comes to live musicians, more for convenience, than expense (I do most of my recording in the early AM)

So.. I buy studio tracks from people like betamonkeymusic.com (cheap and well-done) and assemble them using Live! You can dynamically move sections of the samples to randomize the patterns, pull up/down volumes on snare hits, etc.

Again, you can build up sections V1 V2 Intro Bridge V3, etc. and trigger them in real time... and record the sequence that you trigger. This make building a rhythm track very fast.

Beyond that, it means using loops in a live situation is very flexible, allowing you to repeat a bridge, etc. Great if you want to have a loop background for a band, etc. Tempos can be tapped in during playback using a midi assigned pad or top key of a keyboard.

It's very easy to use, and has been very efficient in the past, CPU wise. I think they're adding too much luggage in the recent revisions, but as long as you have the computing power, I guess its fine.

My biggest complaint with Live! is Ableton's tendancy to release a new version every 9 months and charge everytime they do it. I'm currently at least a version behind.. probably more, as the upgrades have been mostly adding vitual instruments, which are perfume on a pig for my uses.. maybe they'll be compelling in the future.

One example is the Universal version. At the time they sent out a notice that they would be coming out with an upgrade but would be charging for it. Something about that rubbed me wrong.

Still, for what I use it for, its a great tool.

Incidently, it acts as both a master and slave in rewire. Something I wish Logic Pro and Pro Tools would do.

i'm not aware of a way to record Live's output in to Logic, and resort to BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCING... maybe somebody else knows, but i heard the workaround is a bee-otch.

Yes, but that is a logic issue.

I don't worry about it, I just rewire it in and play it live through logic into the mix.

I'm pretty sure you can freeze the input, if necessary, but I've never had to.

Of course you can render the live session to disk and import the audio, but I prefer to have it flexible throughout the process.

Incidently, Live! can process incoming audio and capture it's rewire streams. I'm not sure why Logic can't handle that? Hopefully the next version will have the capability.

• 2 weeks later...

live 6 has "export all audio tracks" same deal as in logic but it wasnt there in vesion 5

Live just give u a different fealing for making music. its great for loop oriented music or groove , as well as regular DAW but its great to sketch something fast.

and its midi implemanetation or automation is way eiaser than logic thus making it great for live stuff or working fast. hopefully logic will come up w something as easy and good and not the current one which is still not thst easy or fast.

i agree the EQ and compressor are somewhat ok, but ableton know that and they are going for the electronic music stuff, so the resonator is just awsome and wish there was a AU verison of it. then the beat mangler and other word stuff as well as the arpegiator and other midi stuff u just drag and drop.

i have live on my PC laptop and do stuff every ight bofore going to sleep and the next day i export all tracks and finish it in logic on my g5.

Why no just use Garage Band as a sketchpad?

Easy Peasy if you ask me.

:P

Download the demo and try it out. Everyone should check it out.

It has a completely different way of making music.

It's a 'non-linear' approach that is perfect for sketching out songs, or trying different arrangements.

And of course it has great 'elastic audio' capabilities.

Lately I've finding myself programming drums and weird noise's in Live. Then doing everything else in Logic/Protools. If you have Live Lite, the upgrade to the full version is cheap and can be downloaded right from Abletons website.

Yes the midi editing is pants (does take some time to get used to) , but I love the loop morphing and the ability to glitch things and mash up audio easily.

I like taking my hats, doubling the hits per measure and then half the time. the hats get a glitchy almost mechanical ring to them, quite nice.

Yes the midi editing is pants (does take some time to get used to) , but I love the loop morphing and the ability to glitch things and mash up audio easily.

I like taking my hats, doubling the hits per measure and then half the time. the hats get a glitchy almost mechanical ring to them, quite nice.

I use Logic and Live as two seperate tools for two seperate reasons (production vs. djing).

The only time I mix them together is when I want to have loops timestretched quickly. I have my controller set up through Live so I can loop a melody in Logic and hammer different drum loops over it sequentially until I find one that I kinda like and use it as my blueprint.

Can anyone illustrate a way in which Live has a more creative / cooler / better production aspect then Logic (other than the ability to quickly swap and manipulate looped stuff)? I don't have much experience sequencing MIDI in Live but from what I've tried I didn't like it.