Improved VEPro 5 Integration

Wolfie2112

I'm fairly new to Logic X, but one thing I have have been struggling with most is routing multi-timbral VI's via VEPro. Unlike Cubase 7, it's a real chore to get this all routed properly. I'm really enjoying Logic, but this would be a real benefit for many users. And on that note, VST3 implementation would be fantastic, especially for VEPro. :lol:

There are probably thousands of film composer out there that incorporate VEPro into their setups, so this really makes sense.

It's true Multiport midi is only supported in vst3.

You can find a lot of workarounds to that on the internet.

You can use the event input plugin but it introduces weird latency issues.

You can also use tools like Ski switcher, transmidifier http://www.bewaryprods.com/software/products/TransMIDIfier/ and a video showing how to set it up

, audio grocery logic toolkit http://www.audiogrocery.com/a.g_toolkit_pro.htm , hardwiring more than one computer via adat/ madi plus layback system or use the method one new instance for 16 midi channels to mention just a few.

My observation and personal preference is:

With SSDs, Powerful Macs and kontakts purge function you can realize a modular template approach in logic without or only partly involving VE PRO. That is what I started using now when working in Logic. (Related to vst3, complexity and expression maps I work with cubase 7.5)

So you can create a single Kontakt (16xstereo) instrument track, in the mixer click the little plus icon to add aux channels. Double click the Kontakt instrument track name - rename - hit tab - rename next channel until you're done - or if you want to create a patch for later highlight all related channels then double click the first name call it Kontakt 1 and hit enter. All Kontakt channels are now called Kontakt 1 - 16 for example. Now highlight all the Kontakt related aux channels hit key command or right click to choose add to arrange. I really like that you can use instrument aux channels to trigger midi although you can't use midi fx on aux or pure midi channels. One final step to be able to save this instrument as a patch is highlight all 16 tracks hit key command or right click on the track header to create a summing track stack. Now open the library browser and save this patch as I.e. "Kontakt 16ch empty temp" or something or if it's filled with samples like spitfire HZ PERCUSSION already "perc HZ Low Hits".

As you can see you can abstract this to all levels even for VE pro and recall as needed. There are so many workflows out there you just need to pick and choose or experiment. Another complementary one is setting up a huge template put the alias or the original file into your home directory - music - logic folder. So whenever you need this 5234 monster spiccato library or all your ready set brass tracks go to the browser, double click the template file and choose the tracks you need with or without routing/ content/ plugins etc and hit import.

The benefit here is if you setup a huge template you normally balance this template and for that you put regions with midi cc settings etc on the first bar in your project. These then get imported if you choose to when importing from one project into the other.

Sorry if I high jacked your thread. These are suggestions and are not intended to replace your feature request.

Don't forget to post every FR and bugs over at http://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Best