Import pro tools session into Logic

jdogjent

Is it possible to do. I recorded a bunch of real nice tracks on a Pro Tools HD Rig. At home I have Pro Tools LE and Logic. I loaded the song into Pro Tools LE and made a bunch of edits/consolidated tracks.

Now I want to mix in logic pro. If i drag the necessary audio files into logic pro they do not line up and with 24 tracks I am not interested in going in and lining them up myself. THere has to be a way for me to import them all into logic and have them be lined up.

In Pro Tools each track region starts at the very beggining, and some of them drop out earlier than the others for the end. But I consolidated them in pro tools, which means there are no breaks between a single region that is on one track.

This is driving me nuts that I cant mix this in logic. It is such a great song and I can't be stuck with these crappy Pro Tools LE plug ins.

Wow I hate digidesign.

I do this all the time, as I receive files from Pro Tools sessions around the world.

1. Make sure your Logic session is at the same tempo as your Pro Tools session (just a good rule of thumb, although I get a LOT of Pro Tools sessions that they never put the correct tempo in!?!!!)

2. make sure ALL of your Pro Tools tracks are consolidated from BAR ONE.

3. import the audio into a Logic session

4. drag all the files to BAR ONE of the Logic session and start working.

really pretty simple, unless I'm missing something here...

NW

Don't consolidate everything in PT to bar one - just burn each track in PT as a stem starting at bar one (or bar zero). Even if the audio on the particular track doesnt start until bar 26, burn the stem starting at bar one (or bar zero). Then open Logic, and drag the pt stems onto individual audio tracks in Logic starting each one at bar one (or zero, depending on how you burned the stems). Voila. Mix away.

Yes - it is exactly what you suggested. His use of the word consolidated makes me think he's missing something, because you don't actually consolidate. You just leave the audio where it is and stem out from the same measure - as you obviously know. From that place they can all be started on measure 23 (or 1). If he's still having problems, he's doing something wrong - so I tried a slightly different approach. If I'm using midi, I like measure 2, and then bounce from 1 4 1 1 to be sure the first note triggers. Whatever works!

Another method that may be easier than the "render everything from bar 1" method.

Export all your regions as BWF WAVe format. This will timestamp them. Import them into Logic and place them on their tracks without regard for time position. Then select "move wave files to original record position" (that may not be the exact menu option, but it's close) and voila. The files will instantly jump to where they should go. I've done this many times.

n.b. Make sure the frame rate and starting timecode is the same in Logic as it is in your ProTools session.

the only problem with the WAV/time stamp transfer is that is is a cumbersome method if you have tracks with tons of regions (i.e. a vocal that has been comp'ed). That's a lot of naming/dragging to make sure everything is on the correct track.

Even though WAV files have time stamp info, they're not smart enough to remember what track they came from.

good reason to use WAV as a default though...I crashed in the middle of a BG session, and the time stamp thing saved my a#@.

NW

cymbaline is right, on paper the best way to do this is definitely OMF.

Unfortunately, through about countless film and album projects, OMF transfer attempts have been very problematic here and we generally avoid them like the plague.

Of course if you're a Digi customer, they expect you to fork out another $500 for some "digitransfer" software to make OMF files, which are coincidentally files that Digidesign was instrumental in making the standards for.

We've seen many, many problems when trying to use OMF. I have heard from people that it is working SOMEWHAT easier now, mostly from Nuendo DAWs.

You can't go wrong with continuous files starting from bar one, that is my recommendation. You can go anywhere in the world with those files, on any platform, and be able to work.

NW

Hmmm... I haven't been able to get OMF to work right. Might be a PT thing where it is broken (ver 7.3, PT HD). If I export as OMF, MIDI is not included, tempo(s) not saved with, and no markers (of course).

My only work-around so far has been a VERY tedious, and hit-or-miss, method: Open in PT, export as .mid. Next, select all tracks, export as OMF. Close PT, launch Logic Pro, New (with autoload or appropriate template), and then OPEN the .mid file. When prompted, "don't close" for new Open, and after selecting the .mid file, select "copy" from Environment from open project prompt. Now that I have the tempo, meter, markers, etc in place, I can close the Autoload (or template), and save the new song as a Project. I then import the OMF into the properly prep'd project, and save again (usually with a suffix to the name, such as "Lalalala+01" or whatever. I can return to the original, .mid loaded project/song if the OMF fails or something gets funky.

IMO, a royal PITA...and worse when the .mid file or OMF fails for whatever reason, and I have to go back and redo it all...