Piano for Logic: Ivory or NI Akoustik Piano?

When I was looking for a new piano VSTi, these two were my top contenders after weeks of trying all the options. In the end I liked the sound of Akoustic more, not in terms of audio quality (both it and Ivory sound amazing), but in terms of the pianos they sampled. The 'tone' of Akoustik fit me better. The editing is really easy too, very nice for an NI product.

I really only use the grand piano in Akoustik, so I have no issues keeping those samples on my MBP's HD. No issues with streaming or anything like that.

Well, I own Ivory and really do like it quite a bit. I can't really compare the two products but I can tell you that while having Ivory running with its sample library on an external firewire 250 Gb Lacie drive and also using a firewire audio interface I have had no problems whatsoever even using patches with 10 velocity layers, and release samples.

I also use Modartt's Pianoteq which, which uses modeling instead of samples. For some things it's more playable and expressive than Ivory. Though for solo piano work it sounds a bit synthetic for my ears.

ivory is clearly the winner for me.

Like Tarekith Ivory and NI were my last contenders and I tried them both and ended with Ivory, because of the more intime sound. A lot of the editing in Akustik is really not piano minded whereas the knobs and other stuff on Ivory is useful, and it even has nice add-on pads. Sure Akustik has a nice graphic interface but that really doesn't matter to me.

Also worth considering is Sampletekk's Seven Seas Grand for Logic's EXS24. You can hear my "Eleanor Rigby" demo on their site.

www.sampletekk.com.

im after a good flute selection as well as piano, any ideas what are Sampletekk's Renaissance Flutes are like compared to others out there?

Flute? Mellotron!!!

(sorry, couldn't resist :( )

Good solo instruments are the toughest to find I think...

I think the Ivory sounds great but it is 40gegs of space for 3 pianos. I can't compare the other plugins but I've had quite a few piano players who really dug it. ANd yes the mellotron / mtron plugin still has a classic sound that really is unmatched. The way the it's dirty warm analog sound blends with most of today's digital sounds just seems to give many of the tracks i've worked on a vintage feel.

Fun times.