Using a Midi Keyboard With Logic

benw

I did a search on this but to be honest i cant search specifically enough because i dont really know what i want, so i was wondering if anyone could hlep me. I've been given and old midi keyboard with midi outs, but i dont have a midi interface, just an audio one. If I buy a Midi to USB cable, will i be able to use this to control the software instruments inside Logic? How would i set it up inside Logic? Is it an enviroment thing?

Thanks very much, this is my first foray into using midi with logic and the environment so sorry for any stupid questions...

Ben

I did a search on this but to be honest i cant search specifically enough because i dont really know what i want, so i was wondering if anyone could hlep me. I've been given and old midi keyboard with midi outs, but i dont have a midi interface, just an audio one. If I buy a Midi to USB cable, will i be able to use this to control the software instruments inside Logic? How would i set it up inside Logic? Is it an enviroment thing?

Thanks very much, this is my first foray into using midi with logic and the environment so sorry for any stupid questions...

Ben

once you install the midi interface and its drivers, you will be able to pick it in logic and control your synths with it.

If I buy a Midi to USB cable

Never heard of one, what you actually need is a MIDI Interface to make your computer "MIDI aware", just like you need an Audio interface to get Audio in and out of your computer.

Maybe they have mini - MIDI Interfaces that fit in a cable? Anyway, that's what you need, a MIDI Interface.

Nowadays it's sometimes cheaper and easier to get a USB controller keyboard.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Midi-Keyboard-Interface-Adapter-Cable/dp/B000M16S6M/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/202-1168016-7671801?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1179677778&sr=8-1

does this look allright to you david? it does say interface i just realized.. so it will work? also, it says it includes a cable for the midi in on my keyboard, will i need that to control the soft synths inside logic?

Thanks a lot David,

Ben