Show license problems with plugins clearly

basgroot

Last week I spent hours messing about with audio dropouts, because some Izotope plugins auto-detected I moved to a new Mac and therefore jumped into demo mode. It took me 2 days and needlessly order many FireWire cables to find out it was this problem. Only after I doubleclicked I saw it said "demo" and then the link was made quickly, but for a pro user a needless waste of time. Luckily I didn't have a recording session with musicians waiting or something.

I already knew that Logic automatically tests compatibility and shows a plugin greyed out and strike-through in the mixing console if it's not compatible anymore.

Why not offer some API call for plugins so they can the user tell a license ran out, and then show the plugin differenly in the mixing console and maybe also different in the plugin select menu? It saves the user a lot of time researching why the sound is bad. Or for the lower professional user, understand they have to slam down some paper to get to use it.

I'm sure the professional plugin manufacturers like Izotope will like to use such a feature to offer a better service level to their customer.