Redesigned Logic Plug-ins in Soundtrack Pro 2

toysun, while your examples have relevancy i have to say that they are not concrete, and they are opinionated.

to me logic has/is my audio recording, post production, audio editing, midi composition software as well as a host for soft synths.

this is my 2 cents on "how's that"

the icon to me is jack.. the emagic icon was better.

:-) <-- big grin.

Hey people

Isn't this new Soundtrack 2 plug-ins look (maybe the look of the next Logic) pretty close to Cubase 4 plug-ins look?

Makes me think. Is that just coincidence?

:)

The blue light knobs are very similar:

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/3953/multibandcompressor01un3.jpg

And there is one with kind of a Space Designer shape:

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/362/dc4229cf9bar7.jpg

Conspiracy theories are emerging in my head.

;)

Well Cubase got the Space Designer look from Logic..

And while the bulk of Logic's plugins have had a blue look since their first inception, and while I think they wanted to keep with this in part because it is a part of Logic's iconic identity, and coincidentially works right in with the Apple Aqua look..... (getting to the point now...LOL)

It DOES look like it has been RIPPED a bit, even if that wasn't Apple's intention.

They may have to rethink it a bit & even reskin some of the better plugins like Channel EQ, Compressor, AutoFilter...etc... And give them their own identity.

But here's hoping their light on the CPU. Intel Macs or not, that should always be a concern... getting the SAME QUALITY, BUT AT A BETTER PERFORMANCE

Some of these plug-ins got quite the UI overhaul, (and I am not just talking about the dull grey, which I actually like... plug-in's shouldn't be inspiring to look at, they should be unobtrustive, low on visual resources, and get the job done). I'm not sure how I feel about the smaller sized tabs. Seems to me that the clickable area is much smaller, otherwise I really like how these plugins look.

The multipressor sure did get an overhaul. Not sure how I feel about it, I really like how things are set up in the current multipressor, but then again, I am sure I would get used to it.

Rounds knobs are IMHO, very hard to work with a mouse. Sliders are so much better! I think the old Waves plugs had the most "honest" and easy to use UI - plain, with lots of text entry options. There are those of use who like to keep our fingers on the keyboard as much as possible.

J

• 2 weeks later...

I REALLY LIKE THE NEW LOOK.

Plug ins with elaborate and colorful interfaces are somewhat annoying.

I like the simplicity of the GUi on these.

I don't open up plug ins to look at them for inspiration.

They are tools, and in the chaotic creative environment, less clutter and less color distractions allows one (me) to focus on the tasks at hand (as in listening to the music)

i couldn't care less about the look, i just want enhanced ergonomy, and by the look of those TINY sliders, it looks like i'll be dissapointed. i'll just have to wait and have a 'hands on' experience before dismissing the new design completely.

It doesn't have to be over the top, but having their own distinctive identity can really help with the workflow and reduce the chances of making mistakes.

I would personally like to see the Track Label displayed clearly on each plug in, not some almost arbitrary number... that is hardly ever helpful at all!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi. My problem with the new look as well as the things like ultrabeat and sculpture is a simple matter. My eyesight is going. Not to a point of blindness but diminished to the point were the GUIs for ultra and sculture are just shy of being impossible to work with. For someone like myself it would be a godsend to be able to rescale the plugins as well as having the ability to have a brighter skin available for others in a similar position. The grey GUIs are all but worthless for my eyes.I don't understand why consideration for others like myself has never been thought about. That is not an issue with me. But it would be of vast help to be able to resize and re-skin the GUIs. JON

Hi. My problem with the new look as well as the things like ultrabeat and sculpture is a simple matter. My eyesight is going. Not to a point of blindness but diminished to the point were the GUIs for ultra and sculture are just shy of being impossible to work with.

I'm right there with you Jon.

Compounding my problem with this is a bit of color-blindness too! Ultrabeat is tough, but at least the graphics are of high quality so when you do magnify it, it's usable. Contrasted to the visual abomination of Propellerhead's Reason, UB's not that bad! Fortunately Reason's sound quality keeps it from ever being a usable tool here, so, not a big deal.

On the bright side, many of the individual controls in the new plug-in "look" have been improved to be easier to tell at a glance what their settings are. But regardless of how much we yell about this, there's always some developer that thinks it's cool to pack as many controls as they can into the smallest space.

About the UI size:

I believe that OSX 10.5 will have independent resolution so you could set your super high def with teeny tiny fonts to look more like an older display with usable fonts.

Or you could use "control" and up or down with a scroll ball to resize the whole screen to zoom WAY in (and back out).

About the color issues, have you tried the really neat-o "control" + "option" + "command" + "8" to see if the colors when inverted are easier to see/use?

X

I don't know whether any of you are aware... But if you are using a Mighty Mouse, or possibly some other mouse with a scroll wheel, under the Mouse Preferences which you will find in System Preferences, you can set it so that the with the aid of a Modifier Key you can use the Scroll ball/wheel to zoom in & out. Of course this does just enlarge the pixels, but can make the Controls easier to read when U are having trouble.

My eyesight, isn't bad, but I still find myself on occasion using this feature.

I understand Apple don't want to make a plugin that is way too large, but i believe they are just a little to small. Perhaps including some kind of Tabs option may be the better way to go with some plugins.

The User Interface fill be resolution independent in Leopard, but that will mostly have an impact on Vector rendered graphics. Unfortunately, it would seem that in the case of most plugins, that aren't of the innocuous blue variety use a lot of pixel or raster based graphics for their interface. This would be a potential problem in scaling them.

Still, it would be a great feature to be able to scale a plugin to your liking and have it boot up at exactly the same size you set previously.