Exporting Markers - an obtuse way

ChrisJ

Hi there

new user alert :D

Been reading some bits on here and they have been helpful to me. So I thought I'd repay it. As best I can.

Unfortunately there is no 'direct' way to export markers. :? But that won't stop us, even if it's an obtuse method :)

If you have a a series of markers and want or need the timing from them (and dont want to use pen and paper) follow either procedure...

1) Create an audio track.

Nothing important has to be on it, so you can a tone generator, for the duration of the project.

Bounce the audio track to an AIFF file. (not tried CAV etc)

Load the AIFF file into Amadeus (sound editor), unfortunately not Sony Soundforge.

Amadeus will see the markers in the AIFF file (so sill Sony), and will allow you to export (Sony wont) them to a "CUE" file for subtitles etc.

2) Create a midi track, software instrument.

Again it's not important what you have in the track, it can be a single note for the duration of the project

Export the track as a midi file.

In that Midi file, the marker name and timing will be there.

Note: Unfortunately (and I written to apple, I hope you do to), all of the marker names are "marker ##" which is the default name in the marker list (ie ##). If Apple automatically used the marker name or number in the marker list as opposed to ##, then on export the "marker ##" would change to marker 01, marker 02.... etc. A small fix by them would make it much easier for the workflow of just getting the data out, barring a direct export functionality, and being easily recognizable and immediately usable.

But either way I hope that if anyone want's or needs to get the marker timing information out of logic pro x for use in any other application that these methods are of some help.

Cheers

There's a much easier way. Use the Import function (File menu), choose the song and then in Logic's browser window click the Global Tracks tab, check "Marker Track" and then choose Replace. If you want to retain your original markers, you could paste the new ones into a Marker Alternatives track in Global tracks.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that tip camillo jr, but the post was really for getting the marker information "out" of Logic.

Actually I use it for subtitles, but I've found many other uses too...marking sections I need to get reviewed. So the reviewer of the aiff file can just listen to the "marked section", and I don't need to send time codes.

But unfortunately there is an issue... Or rather a bug I think.

That is, it works fine if you bounce to 44khz, but as soon as you change it to 48 or 96khz in an offline bounce, the export the markers in the aiff all get horribly misaligned. I dont think they took them into account when up-scaling.