Logic & Ableton Live Question

acidtest

I'm using Live 6's Impulse to program drum loops with recorded drum hits. Once I get a nice drum loop (about 120 BPM), I render it to disk as a loop (aiff). I then import the loop (aiff) as an audio file into a Logic audio track. The problem is that the BPM of the loop is much slower, about 30 BPM less, than the rendered loop created in Live. I am not able to adjust the tempo of the loop in Logic and I'm not sure why. I went in and opened the loop using Quicktime, and in Peak and it plays the loop at the original BPM. This leads me to believe that I am doing something wrong within Logic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my setup:

Logic 7.2.3 on a MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz OS X 10.4.9

Thanks,

Victor

It sounds like your using different sample rates between abelton and logic. Make sure to render the file in the same sample rate that your using in Logic. I think that may be it cuz ive had I similar problem before.

I think you may have solved my problem. I have live set @ 44100 and I'm sure logic is set @ 48000. Thx.

I also thought about rewiring live into logic. I don't have much experience with this though. Any pointers?

It sounds like your using different sample rates between abelton and logic. Make sure to render the file in the same sample rate that your using in Logic. I think that may be it cuz ive had I similar problem before.

I think you may have solved my problem. I have live set @ 44100 and I'm sure logic is set @ 48000. Thx.

I also thought about rewiring live into logic. I don't have much experience with this though. Any pointers?

The way I rewire Live into Logic is this:

Launch Logic first, and then Live.

In Logic, create two audio objects in your environment, assign them to Rewire Mix L and Rewire Mix R, pan them hard L/R, pool them together into a bus, and then make a Bus track in your arrange for mute and bounce purposes. (you can make any track in Live rewired to Logic; I just use the mains.)

Logic is now the master for tempo. I bounce the Live rewired tracks down to audio loops, mute the rewire tracks (or mute the source tracks in Live), and I'm ready to go.

In Logic, create two audio objects in your environment, assign them to Rewire Mix L and Rewire Mix R, pan them hard L/R, pool them together into a bus, and then make a Bus track in your arrange for mute and bounce purposes. (you can make any track in Live rewired to Logic; I just use the mains.)

Logic is now the master for tempo. I bounce the Live rewired tracks down to audio loops, mute the rewire tracks (or mute the source tracks in Live), and I'm ready to go.

Thanks for the info. This is exactly the info I was looking for.

Another method is to run Live in standalone mode and sync the clocks by midi with IAC (you can pick which one is the master). Now you can send midi (via IAC) to Logic (i.e., send midi to sculpture, or Ultrabeat!). Just be careful not to setup any midi feedbackloops. You can send audio between apps too, but that requires soundflower (This is too convoluted of a setup for me, but it can be done)

Another method is to run Live in standalone mode and sync the clocks by midi with IAC (you can pick which one is the master). Now you can send midi (via IAC) to Logic (i.e., send midi to sculpture, or Ultrabeat!). Just be careful not to setup any midi feedbackloops. You can send audio between apps too, but that requires soundflower (This is too convoluted of a setup for me, but it can be done)

why would you want to do it this way? what benefits are there?

why would you want to do it this way? what benefits are there?

The current Rewire machinary allows midi to be sent from the master to the slave, and audio to be sent from the slave to the master. As a rewire slave, Live can't send midi back to logic. Therefore you can't trigger clips in Live that send midi to UltraBeat, or Sculpture.

In my opinion, Live as a Rewire slave isn't too useful. I am still on 5.2, so maybe things have changed, but I don't think so.

If someone has a few examples or workflow that uses Live as a rewire slave, I would like to hear them.