Weird project name display [SOLVED]

rawmusic
Go to solution Solved by rawmusic,

weird-project-name.jpg.4e7972a08bb540ddce37df04a2741fda.jpg

Screen snip of the offending title bar

Hi Guys

Weird and annoying... At the top of my Logic window, the name of the project (new proj for the sake of example) is displayed as shown in the attached jpg screen snip, i.e. "new proj - Glee strings and brass - Tracks"

The first and last bits I get - Name of the project and the Tracks window. The middle bit I don't and I can't seem to get rid of it. The really weird thing is, I based the project on a template that was originally called Glee strings and brass but which I renamed and resaved as a template called Glee str br Oct 13 so I could see the whole filename in the template browser window.

I know the actual filename is simply stored as "new proj" on the hard drive, but it is just annoying to see the old template name there in all its gaudy glory. It also looks a little childish and when clients are in the studio they'll ask "why does it say Glee strings and brass when my song is called The Joy Of Socks?" - looks a little unprofessional.

Is there a way to change this, could anyone tell me please? I just want to get rid of the old template name...

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

• Solution

OK...I've found it - rather than remove the post, I thought I'd leave it here with my solution in case anyone else has this happen.

It is because of my project "Alternatives" - go to File>Alternatives and you can create alternate versions of the same project. I obviously based the original template on a song that I had already worked on with an alternative version called Glee Brass and Strings....

I couldn't figure out why it was just this template....sorted now though...

Cheers!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
That's not it because I don't have any other alternatives except the original which can't be deleted. I still have that weird naming thing and nothing I do seems to make it go away. Any new songs created from this template always display the template name in the middle between the actual song title and tracks.

That's not it because I don't have any other alternatives except the original which can't be deleted. I still have that weird naming thing and nothing I do seems to make it go away. Any new songs created from this template always display the template name in the middle between the actual song title and tracks.

Renaming the sole Alternative to the Project name makes this problem go away

• 10 months later...

I'm not a friend of Apple's mandatory version/alternative handling. I'm used to handling file versions manually, saving my file under a new name now and the during my work. Just to stay on top of things. Very important for me.

Renaming the sole Alternative to the Project name makes this problem go away

Tankfield's solution above works fine: renaming the alternative to the same name as the file gets rid of the double names in the window header. And if you save your file under a new name, using Save As, the alternative (which is not possible to get rid of) will also get the new name, keeping it "out of sight" in the window header.

But, if you start your day's work by duplicating yesterday's file in Finder and giving it a new name, which is my standard procedure, the alternative will get yesterday's name, making it show its nasty little face in the window header.

I wish there were a way to disable alternatives, bit I haven't found any.

What you can always do is to call the main alternative "Standard" or something. That won't offend any clients.

• 7 months later...
I finally found the solution somewhere. If you make the name of project exactly the same as the alternate name(either way you want) then the duplication is gone. So either copy the alternate name to project name, or copy the project name to alternate name. It appears Logic Pro X 10 10.2.4(which is what I tried this on) no longer puts out PN -- AN. It just puts the only name that is duplicated. Weird. I'm posting this to enhance my memory of it next time, which I'm sure to forget.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

It seems the trick no longer works with Logic 10.8.1, Sonoma 14.2.1.

I can't get rid of the project name appearing twice. I did it with File > Project Alternatives > Edit Alternatives... > Rename > Done. The duplication disappears, but as soon as I save the project (or save as or save a copy as), the name appears twice again, which is quite confusing and annoying.

After some attempts I was able to get rid of the name appearing twice but it doesn't work when using this project as a template:

1. New Project
  2. Save project as aaa (name appears 2x)
  3. Rename Alternative Name to bbb (File > Project Alternatives > Edit Alternatives...)
  4. Save and close
  5. Open
  6. Rename Project to bbb   (File > Project Management > Rename)
  7. Save
  8. Press Rename alternatives > delete alternative name (no name) >  press Rename > Done (in File > Project Alternatives > Edit Alternatives...)
  9. Save and close
  10. Open a again, the doubling disappeared. It works even now even after saving as a new project. Unfortunately it doesn't work when using this project as template (New from template) . It opens as Untitled.logicx - Untitled again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...