She Told Me

Andy M.

Hi,

Great song, great recording, really nice to hear this kind of thing. Did you play all the instruments? Nice effect at the end, tricky!

As a bass player, the 5 string bass (or basically, going below E) kind of was jarring - that's a very post-1985 sound on a song that has a more timeless feel.

Just my 2c, but overall, killer song!

John

Thanks for your comments guys. Glad you like the song. :D

I played a Fender electro acoustic which was miced with an SM81 and DI from the Fishman pickup.

Also a Strat for the verse arpeggios.

A cheap Fanndec guitar from China for the solo (this guitar is cheap but it is not nasty at all - very nice axe).

Both electric guitars were recorded direct using a Session JD10 analogue guitar thing.

Piano from my Kurzweil K2500 - my favourite keyboard.

The organ sound from Cheeze Machine plugin.

The Bass was played by a colleague of mine and I agree with you about the choice of instrument toysun but the guy insisted on using it and it was all he had with him so I went with it.

As for the effect at the end; I wasn't sure how to end it and I HATE fades so I sampled the last chord from the acoustic, reversed it and loaded it into EXS24. Then set the pitchbend for 5 semi-tones and starting with the pitch fully up, triggered the sample and lowered the pitch until it 'met' the final chord (if you know what I mean).

The recording started off in Logic Pro where I work, during a quiet period - the acoustic, bass and vocal track were done there. Then I finished it all off on my PC using Platinum 5.5 :shock:

Yes, yes, I know... But Platinum still rocks on the PC.

Will post some more soon.

8)

Great song! Great hook. Are you by any chance living in the New York City area?

Thanks man. Visited New York a couple of times and loved it, but now I live in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. From London originally and I don't miss the weather, just the beer and my mates.

8)