Using Gain plugin when mixing with pre-existing automation

TheRdungeon

No idea if this is common practice or not, but I always struggled coming to mixing a track when I'd use volume automation in the creation process. The reason being I didn't have a simple slider to bring the volume up/down, I had to adjust the automation inside the track to alter this. So today I randomly used a gain plugin on the track and oh my god, this helps so much.

Obviously if this is already bleedingly obvious feel free to delete it from here, just thought I'd mention it incase people were having similar headaches

• 1 year later...
No idea if this is common practice or not, but I always struggled coming to mixing a track when I'd use volume automation in the creation process. The reason being I didn't have a simple slider to bring the volume up/down, I had to adjust the automation inside the track to alter this. So today I randomly used a gain plugin on the track and oh my god, this helps so much.

Obviously if this is already bleedingly obvious feel free to delete it from here, just thought I'd mention it incase people were having similar headaches

To add to this (and to resurrect an old thread :) ) When using a gain plugin in conjunction with the channel fader, I'm doing the automation with the gain plugin, which can move up and down as much as it wants now, the fader stays still, giving a good indication of the overall level of a track.

Some might do it the other way round, automating the fader, and adjusting the overall level with the gain plugin, but I found I don't NEED to see the volume automation, but I need the ability to quickly change the level of a track. Which of course works better on a clearly laid out mixer than on a hidden plugin, that needs to be clicked first, before anything can be done to it...