Strategies for saving

semtek

A simple question:

I want all the files associated with a song to be stored in a single place for backup purposes. Hence, when I am working on a song I will save it as a project, and then consolidate at regular intervals.

If I save multiple versions of a song, should I be using 'save as project' every time, or just 'save as...' and then project/consolidate?

Just want to make sure that if I don't save as project each time the correct file structure is preserved. IE If I go 'save as...' are the file references to the copied files in the project folder preseved?

Thanks, S

Once you do a Save As Project -- you should be good to go, if I understand correctly, by just using "Save As..."

For instance, I always first "Save As Project" and then come Mixing Time, I go to "Save As" -- create a New Folder in the Opened Dialog box and name it "Mixes" and then proceed with appropriate names ex. "Drums Mix", "Done with Bass", "First Part of Vox Mix" -- this is great too because it allows you to "Go Back" say you need to reference something that you later Freeze, or for any other reason.

In short, use "Save As Project" once in the beginning -- and then for each "Snapshot" of a project use "Save As..." All the necessary Audio Files, Instrument Settings, will "consolidate" into the larger Project Folder. If you're uncertain, do a couple small dummy projects and see what is getting saved and where. You can also later go to the Audio Windows menu and see which Audio Files are not being used to save space. I do this at the end of projects and fine all those "alternate takes" that never got used or the mess-ups that were unnecessary; then I burn a DVD of the project and let it sit on the shelf should I ever need it again.

Haven't read the whole thread but I'd advise to always start a new session by saving as project, and always including audio files and auto-converting sample rate.

Then you should never have to worry about any of the audio files again. I take a look at my Audio Window once in a while, just to make sure all the audio files are located inside the Audio folder in the project, as they should be.

• 2 weeks later...
I actually do a save as every time i sit down to do a session. I had one of my files inexplicibly corrupt when I made a teeeensie alteration in ultrabeat that ruined to the whole song and after that I became fanatical about multiple backups. That way if something quirks out you only lose say an hour or two or a days work, vs. say a MONTH. Highly recomend it.