how to keep external synth from playing drum plugins?

zitfacedgeek

You could mute them but you might not want to do that...

You could use "Auto demix by Channel when multitrack recording" in File > Song Settings > Recording

Then you can set a MIDI Channel for each Audio Instrument in their parameter box (just on top of the channel strip in the arrange window). The MIDI Channel you send with the Virus will determine which instrument play.

You can even create a switch in the environment to decide which instrument to trigger.

Let me know if you need help with that.

After RTGDMFM, 'm still stumped on this..basically, i'd like to be able to record playing battery or ultrabeat using a trigger finger while someone else plays an external synth in multichannel mode (virus ti). i can do it with the auto demix by channel if multitrack recording option using only one drum track and one channel of the virus. say i want to record the virus on channel 5, and two ultrabeat instruments simultaneously each on channel 10, can't do it. as soon as i record enable a second drum track, the audio switches to the new track. don't see why this isn't possible if they are both transmitting on 10.

..say i want to record the virus on channel 5, and two ultrabeat instruments simultaneously each on channel 10..

As I understand it, with "two ultrabeat instruments" you mean two sounds of an ultrabeat instrument,

triggered by different notes on channel 10?

If so, just use 1 track for playing/recording both on channel 10.

After recording select the region and do Region > Demix by Note Pitch.

OK, I think if you have multiple tracks with the *same* MIDI channel, the 'Demix by Channel' feature will select only *one* of those tracks.

But there is a workaround: to combine ("layer") 2 instruments on the same channel, just use *one* track assigned to instrument 1, and in the environment cable the output of instrument 1 (at top right) into instrument 2.